Upgrade from nikon d3200

deepind

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I have nikon d3200 can I upgrade to nikon d5300 or d5600 ? Or can I buy new lens?

You need to give more info on what you want to achieve while also listing your lens to get any good information

It's hard to tell if the new camera will solve the problem. Usually the grainy image is noise that comes from using a high ISO. The D5300 is only goes one stop ISO above the D3200, so to see a bit of improvement the D5600 is the better option.

Another option is to pick up a fast prime lens like the 35mm f/1.8 DX lens. This can give you an extra couple stops of exposure over your current lens. Generally I would add the lens first as you can then have both those lenses when you upgrade the camera body.

Of course, if you are shooting in really dark locations like a club, then you might not be happy until you go to a full frame camera and then you will want FX lenses. If you are not happy after that then you will just have to live with the noise, or just go to option three and buy a flash and put some light on the subject.

It's hard to tell if the new camera will solve the problem. Usually the grainy image is noise that comes from using a high ISO. The D5300 is only goes one stop ISO above the D3200, so to see a bit of improvement the D5600 is the better option.

Another option is to pick up a fast prime lens like the 35mm f/1.8 DX lens. This can give you an extra couple stops of exposure over your current lens. Generally I would add the lens first as you can then have both those lenses when you upgrade the camera body.

Of course, if you are shooting in really dark locations like a club, then you might not be happy until you go to a full frame camera and then you will want FX lenses. If you are not happy after that then you will just have to live with the noise, or just go to option three and buy a flash and put some light on the subject.
Thanks for reply...I want to take long shots and birds,nature etc...is Nikon D3200 is good for that or any other option.

For bird shots you really want to have at least 400mm. I have a the 70-300mm VR lens and can take some bird shots if they are not too far away. There are also some decent third party 150-500mm or 150-600mm lenses that will work fine with your D3200.

There is also a new 70-300mm DX zoom from Nikon, but you would need at least the D3300 or D5300 body for it to work. This is a good lens for getting started with using a longer telephoto lens and is very portable.

For bird shots you really want to have at least 400mm. I have a the 70-300mm VR lens and can take some bird shots if they are not too far away. There are also some decent third party 150-500mm or 150-600mm lenses that will work fine with your D3200.

There is also a new 70-300mm DX zoom from Nikon, but you would need at least the D3300 or D5300 body for it to work. This is a good lens for getting started with using a longer telephoto lens and is very portable.
So..can I use D3200 itself?

am interested in night photography including milkyway and birds ..can i buy lens to achieve this or camera body like nikond5500 0r d5600?

Any new dx Nikon camera will give similar image quality as your d3200. The d5600/d7200, likely even the d500 will not substantially improve image quality due all the sensors used perform similarly.

Any new dx Nikon camera will give similar image quality as your d3200. The d5600/d7200, likely even the d500 will not substantially improve image quality due all the sensors used perform similarly.
Thanks..what zoom lens has good focusing ..as i try to take picture of a flying bird it flew quickly before focusing...

Birds are a tough subject.

You often need very long focal lengths.

And in flight they are very demanding to the autofocus, too.

The D500 is a night vision wonder. Useable ISO 50k, especially if you postprocess it with noise reduction software, is definitely a huge step over useable ISO 1600 or so what an old APS-C camera will give you.

Plus the D500 has the newest high end autofocus from Nikon.

Birds are a tough subject.

You often need very long focal lengths.

And in flight they are very demanding to the autofocus, too.

The D500 is a night vision wonder. Useable ISO 50k, especially if you postprocess it with noise reduction software, is definitely a huge step over useable ISO 1600 or so what an old APS-C camera will give you.

Plus the D500 has the newest high end autofocus from Nikon.

It's true the autofocus in the d500 is miles better than the d3200. Any scientific tests though place the sensor as only a fraction of a stop better iso.

To OP, how much money are you willing to spend?

Flying birds are a whole topic itself.
FAST moving birds require specialized gear (to track and focus), and very importantly technique.
Slow moving birds or stationary birds are much easier to deal with.

The longer the lens, the $$$$ it will be. Long zooms, start with the Sigma 150-600 at about $1,000, and go up $$$$.

For flying birds, you want a body with good zone autofocus. That means upgrading from your D3200. I would go with the D7500.
At the top of the stack is the D500, for fast moving birds.

Most reactions

Back