Upgrade path to full frame - DSLR vs. mirrorless

Adam, do you know, is there a reason why the 6 has this and not the 7? The 7 has twice the megapixels (48) as the 6 does, so in my little universe, it seems as if it would be reversed.
My initial thought is that with the lower resolution, the likelihood of moire from repetitive textures is more likely, but I never had that issue with my D500 with no AA filter and that's only 20MP. Your guess is as good as mine. I'm hoping 24MP with AA filter is at least as sharp as 20MP with no filter; I guess we'll see when it arrives.

Adam, do you know, is there a reason why the 6 has this and not the 7? The 7 has twice the megapixels (48) as the 6 does, so in my little universe, it seems as if it would be reversed.
My initial thought is that with the lower resolution, the likelihood of moire from repetitive textures is more likely, but I never had that issue with my D500 with no AA filter and that's only 20MP. Your guess is as good as mine. I'm hoping 24MP with AA filter is at least as sharp as 20MP with no filter; I guess we'll see when it arrives.

I know back in my pressman days while in college, we had some occasional issues with Morie patterns, but mostly caused by two screens of the same pattern and resolution. In color printing (lithography) there are distinct screens used for 4-color printing that do not do this in relation to the 3 other screens. I will do more research regarding this and see if my buddies at Nikon have any information regarding this that they can add to the conversation.

Be well and thanks for the response.

Mark

I’ve had my Z6 for over a year and I love it. Switched from a D600 and the low light image quality is shockingly better on the Z. Focus peaking with manual focus lenses is fantastic. It’s fantastic across the board really. Keep the D500 for sports/wildlife if you can, but the little Zed camera is a marvel.

Last edited:
I’ve had my Z6 for over a year and I love it. Switched from a D600 and the low light image quality is shockingly better on the Z. Focus peaking with manual focus lenses is fantastic. It’s fantastic across the board really. Keep the D500 for sports/wildlife if you can, but the little Zed camera is a marvel.
Glad to hear it, I may want to pick your brain in the next few weeks as I start to rethink my lens lineup. With the Z-mount, the days of $200-400 fast primes and sub-$1k used f/2.8 zooms are pretty much gone, so I need to put more thought into what I really need. Adapted F-mount is always an option, primes are great for studio work, but any travel photography begs for a more versatile normal zoom.

I'd love to hold onto my D500 and collection of lenses, but those are what will fund any new purchases (50mm f/1.2 perhaps?)

I know back in my pressman days while in college, we had some occasional issues with Morie patterns, but mostly caused by two screens of the same pattern and resolution. In color printing (lithography) there are distinct screens used for 4-color printing that do not do this in relation to the 3 other screens. I will do more research regarding this and see if my buddies at Nikon have any information regarding this that they can add to the conversation.

Be well and thanks for the response.

Mark

Wow... I get to quote myself, the ultimate dream of an academic researcher. :) . I contacted Nikon here and they had no answers, and so kicked the questions up to Nikon Tokyo, so we shall see how they respond. When I find out or get any kind of response, I will post it to this thread.

Hope all of you are well.

Mark

After 45 years of shooting exclusively with Nikon film cameras, I very recently picked up a D99 and a D750. I see no reason to “upgrade” from the D750. And after handling the mirrorless rigs, I have no desire to get one. The Nikon film and DSLR’s feel perfect in my hands

I have a D750 and a D850. I use the D750 most of the time and do my macro stuff with the D850. But, for the kind of stuff you like to shoot, I think you have the best camera for that in the D500. I sometimes shoot the D850 in crop mode (roughly 19mp) because of the added reach with my tele's.

Good point. I think the term "upgrade to full frame" is a misnomer. While my full frames are my best bodies I will always have a crop sensor for situations where it is the best tool.
I have a D750 and a D850. I use the D750 most of the time and do my macro stuff with the D850. But, for the kind of stuff you like to shoot, I think you have the best camera for that in the D500. I sometimes shoot the D850 in crop mode (roughly 19mp) because of the added reach with my tele's.

Sent from my motorola one action using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

New Topics

Back