Upgrade portrait lenses

why would you want more than 50 mm on a crop body? it just means you will be closer up, have less room to work with, and just will have to stand back further. am i missing something?
Quite possibly.

why would you want more than 50 mm on a crop body? ... am i missing something?

Yes.

Like others have stated, the 50mm is the shortest focal length to consider for portraits with your camera format. I think it would be fine (even good) for full length or group portraits.

What you gain with a longer lens is a different angle of view. You'll be able to shoot on a much narrower background so, when shooting outdoors or in, you can more easily select a segment of the background to include in your portraits.

And, you'll have more control over depth of field. There is less need to shoot SO shallow that some of your subject will go soft. This is more important when working with more than one subject in an image.

Also, backing off from your subject can often be a good thing. The sitter might feel less conscientious if you're not right on top of him.

I hope I'm explaining this in a way that makes sense.

-Pete

why would you want more than 50 mm on a crop body? ... am i missing something?

Yes.

Like others have stated, the 50mm is the shortest focal length to consider for portraits with your camera format. I think it would be fine (even good) for full length or group portraits.

What you gain with a longer lens is a different angle of view. You'll be able to shoot on a much narrower background so, when shooting outdoors or in, you can more easily select a segment of the background to include in your portraits.

And, you'll have more control over depth of field. There is less need to shoot SO shallow that some of your subject will go soft. This is more important when working with more than one subject in an image.

Also, backing off from your subject can often be a good thing. The sitter might feel less conscientious if you're not right on top of him.

I hope I'm explaining this in a way that makes sense.

-Pete

Thanks! Good explanation

With a shorter focal length lens, in order to frame the subject to the way you like, you may need to stand closer to the subject.

When doing so, photos maybe affected by perspective distortion. Nose is bigger, foot are bigger .....etc.

Most reactions

Back