Upgrade to Nikon Fullframe, instructor recommended D750

Luke29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Two instructors have recommended this older camera. Is it worth it ( used about $1200)? I did rent one and was not overwhelmed by it however the D780 that looks intriguing is out of my price range currently.

Should I wait for the price to drop? Try out a D810 for better ergonomics and picture quality ( the D750 was not stunningly better than my D5600 for what I shoot and I use 85mm 1.8 and 70-200 f4 Nikon lenses).

Confused.

I own both the D750 and D810; the D810 has become my primary camera, moving the D750 to back-up status. I like both, but the ergonomics and quietness of the D810 give it the edge (and the 36mp sensor). I found the D810 used, with @ 1400 clicks on it. A nice D750 can be had for under $1K (shutter count dependent).

Either one would be a great choice.

WHY do you want to upgrade to FX from DX?
If your D5600 does everything you want it to do, why spend more $$$$.
When I upgrade, there has to be a definite benefit to spending all that money.

One other thing your 70-200 on your D5600 would need a 105-300 on the D750 to get a similar field of view. IOW, you will loose magnification when you put it on a FX camera.
Similar for your 85, you would need a 130mm lens on a FX camera, to have the same field of view/magnification.

I case you had not noticed, the D750 is a lot heavier than your D5600. For some, like me, that makes a difference.

As for the FX cameras.
It depends on what YOUR use case is.
Example for me, I want the higher ISO for low light, so it would be D750/780.
If I wanted more resolution, then it would be the D810/850.
So list the features of each and evaluate them based on YOUR needs, not someone else's needs/wants.

Weight again becomes an issue for me.
The D810 is heavier than the D750 which is heavier than your D5600.

BTW, I don't know why you got the 70-200/4 instead of the f/2.8 lens.
But, in MY case, it was weight. The f/2.8 lens was TWICE the weight of the f/4 lens. And for me, that made a difference.
Holding the lens for 15 minutes is very different than holding and shooting with it for 4+ HOURS. Same with cameras.

Go with what YOU want!

This is akin to the age old argument Ford v Chevy, or 45 v 9mm..

Its about YOUR ergonomics and uses, not someone else's.

I have a D3 and a D90 AND a D1. Along with a 1D MKII N Canon, AND a 5D, AND a 70D....

Then throw in my Mamiya and Hassy and you get the idea.

This isnt really about FF v APS, its about what you feel comfortable with, and if you want to spend the money on a $1200 camera.. more power to you!

There is a long winded saying amongst shutterbugs...

it isnt the equipment, its the photographer!

Thank you for the information. I decided to reach into the bank and buy new D780.
You'll never regret it!!!! It's a great rig.

Of all the dSLR's I owned, the D750 is still my favorite

I love my only camera, a D750. I bought it refurbished 2 years ago and see no reason to upgrade.

Of the many cameras I've bought and sold, the D750 is my favorite

Most reactions

New Topics

Back