Upgrading camera body, need help with lenses

It was golden hour, and I was "learning" it was during a class I am taking... I was pretty frustrated and probably just forgot where my settings were... IDK... I do need to learn off camera lighting, etc before I consider REALLY being a business... (yes, I have a website, the website has pricing, have I ever actually gotten paid THAT price for anything? No, everything I've done is for friends and they pay me what they can which is never more than about $40 lol)...

Anywho, let me see if I can dig out the one that was really bad... You can't see it in a smaller size, but when it is blown up to 100% in photoshop, it really shows up :/ Flash was used in this one, no reflector.. Just the flash... It was a 580 EX (not II), pointed up using the bounce card to throw the light... This was towards the end of the session...

ISO 400
f/8
ss 1/160

So I could have went down to ISO 200 and bumped shutter speed up, but the sync speed of the flash is only 1/250 (or 1/200, can't remember which) so it would have ended up over exposed... IDK, I guess I'm still confused on that too - A flash has a sync speed of 1/xxx, but our teacher did say at one point that our shutter speed could be higher than that... but then won't the camera automatically change the shutter speed to the highest sync speed of the flash?

5960862105_37be13d82e_z.jpg

If you go to my flickr and look at the original size, you'll see all the noise... Like I said, it's hard to see small, but if she prints it for her portfolio (say 11x14) it's going to be very prominent

well, did you TRY to print it at 11x14 or you think it would be. Again, back to D70, my wedding was shot w/ it and I have 16x20 hanging - iso 400, f/8, 1/125 - no noise

by the way, the pic you got up, that wooden poll is killing the pic :(

What power was your flash set at?

You could have always left it at f/8 and 1/160, lowered your iso and bumped your flash up a knotch... There's a bunch of options really, between the 4 -- alternating aperture (f/4-5), low iso, faster/shutter, more flash power.

I don't remember what the flash was set at...

IGS, the teacher was the one that pointed out the noise and said it was too much for a large print...

Oh, and the wooden pole was a lot worse - I had to burn it in photoshop... The flash hit it and it was AWFUL! :(

5d comes with a 24-105. just use that. it's a very nice lens. if you're using flash and reflectors 4.0 is plenty fast.

if you want 2.8, plan on spending $1,000 a lens. 16-35 and 70-200 would make a nice pair.

Oh, and the wooden pole was a lot worse - I had to burn it in photoshop... The flash hit it and it was AWFUL! :(

I think, what he meant, is the presence of the pole being there ruins the shot. You might have been able to position your body to the left more to shoot without it being there or at least not leaving it dead center of the frame lol.

I think, what he meant, is the presence of the pole being there ruins the shot. You might have been able to position your body to the left more to shoot without it being there or at least not leaving it dead center of the frame lol.

I know what he meant :) I was just pointing out that I tried to help it a little by burning it :)

Memento, I'm getting a used 5d so it won't be coming with any lenses :( Could you point me to somewhere that I might be able to find one new? Adorama and B&H don't seem to have them...

I know what he meant :) I was just pointing out that I tried to help it a little by burning it :)
Burning something that is nearly dead center AND larger than your subject, isn't going to "help" the composition. Removing it will.

5d comes with a 24-105. just use that. it's a very nice lens. if you're using flash and reflectors 4.0 is plenty fast.

if you want 2.8, plan on spending $1,000 a lens. 16-35 and 70-200 would make a nice pair.

Amazon.com: Canon EOS 5D - Digital camera - SLR - 12.8 Mpix - Canon EF 24-105mm IS lens - optical zoom: 4.3 x - supported memory: CF, Microdrive: Electronicseah, that's an extra $3,000 to get it new and with a lens... Why is there such a huge gap between new and used with this camera?? Most of the other cameras still have close to their full value when they are sold used...

I was going to suggest the Nikon D7000 but obviously not in the same class as the 5D (most importantly, the 5D is a full-frame camera with better ISO). That being said, depending on your needs it might make a great option. See here for a pluses/minuses comparison. Canon 5D Mark II vs Nikon D7000

Okay... I think people are confused...

I'm not getting a 5d mark II... I'm getting a 5D! They are 2 different cameras :)

5dmII used = $2300... 5d used = $1300 :) Big difference :)

Most reactions

Back