Upgrading Canon film SLR to a DSLR.

Weaving Wax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know I'm posting a bit early, but for Christmas this year I want to upgrade to a DSLR. I have a EOS 650 and would like to stick with Canon as I have the 50mm 1.8 lens, plus, if the DSLR's are anything like the 650 I know my way around the camera.

I'm looking at the rebel XTi, but am open to others as well. I don't want to spend more than $700 and am open to kits as well for a cheap zoom lens. The type of photography I do in on my Flickr site (which is in my sig), but would like to get into just about anything, but I don't want to drop like 500+ on a lens just yet, I think a kit lens plus the 50mm will be just fine. Any Canon DSLR suggestions welcome and if you could, could you post why you would suggest one over the other? I've read a few threads and a few questions have been answered. I heard that dust is an issue with the XTi's and I read a lot of negative reviews on Amazon.com about underexposed shots, but maybe thats a metering issue? Oh and my birthday is coming up and maybe I can get a flash? What is good. I know it'll probably be a speedlite, but I don't know which one....

If you want a new one, I'd recommend the XTi or the newer XSi. Probably with the 18-55mm kit lens.

I've also got an old EOS 650, it's a great old camera. The cameras mentioned above are quite a bit smaller than the 650, so you might find them too small. If you would consider a used DSLR, have a look at a 20D or 30D, they are a level above the X series (Rebels) in terms of build quality and features but with digital technology, a newer model will often be more advanced. My point is that a 20D or 30D (or a new 40D) would be a closer match to the 650.

Hmm..Even though a 40d is the newest one is a 20 or 30d that far behind it? Oh and what about a flash? Would the shutter button that works on the 650 work with the D series?

Hmm..Even though a 40d is the newest one is a 20 or 30d that far behind it? Oh and what about a flash? Would the shutter button that works on the 650 work with the D series?
The 20D and the 30D are basically the same camera with a few minor differences. The 40D, on the other hand, was a major upgrade....new sensor, new processor, new AF system, body upgrades etc. That being said, the price of a used 20D might be $300-$500, which is a decent price for a camera that is still really good.

Do you have a flash already? If not, I'd recommend the 430EX.

The remote shutter release for the 650 will not work on the new digital bodies. However, you can get a cheap remote release on E-bay for less than $20....not as well made as the Canon ones, but for a small fraction of the price.

I really agree with Big Mike. A used Canon x0D series should probably be the best choice for you, or even better, a used 5D if you could stretch your budget. Simply because these pro/semipro cameras are the ones most similar to their analogue ancestors. I'm pretty sure you will find the viewfinders and dials on Rebels and other entry level dSLRs unsatisfying when moving on from film SLR.

Hmm..Even though a 40d is the newest one is a 20 or 30d that far behind it?

There are some new feature upgrades between the 20D/30D (these 2 are very similar) and the 40D, but image quality is pretty much the same (at least in my experience shooting raw). I own the 20D and 40D. Both are excellent cameras. 40D prices may be dropping with the introduction of the new 50D. There will definitely be people with upgrade fever getting rid of their barely used 40Ds in favor of the new 50D. Keep your eyes open for a deal.

Thank you very much, I will!

I shoot with a 20D, and from all my research before my purchase, it was the best camera I could find in that pricepoint. And I got a killer deal getting it used on ebay... I use a 420EX speedlite with it.

Most reactions

Back