Upgrading from a Canon T3i

KylePretty0

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone! I currently have a Canon T3i/600D and I feel I have outgrown it and it is soon time for an upgrade. I currently only have the kit lens and a Canon 55-250mm, so changing ecosystems isn't really a big deal. It will mostly be used for photo but I would like to be able to do good video aswell (Atleast 1080/60, but I would prefer 4k). I like to take a wide range of different photos, such as landscapes, portraits, wildlife, etc. For videos I like to shoot short movies and vlogs (Inspired by Casey Neistat, Sam Kolder, Krispy Media, etc.) I've been looking at the new Canon 77D and thinking about getting it when it is released, as I currently can afford that, however the Sony A6500 has caught my eye as well however i would need to get a bit more money first. I would prefer to buy something new and to keep it under $1000 CAD, but I could wait for a bit and go up to $2000 CAD. I live in canada and there is a camera shop nearby that sells Canon/Nikon and some Fujifilm cameras at the same price in CAD as they are on B&H in USD, so that saves me 25% off, however if I were to go Sony/Panasonic I would order it online (At regular price in USD). So what do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Maybe Sony a6300 ?
Its does 4K and two main differences between the a6500 and a6300 are touch screen and IBIS

I've thought about that, but if i were to do vlogs and try to get some cinematic shots for short films, the in-body stabilization would make a big difference, right? Also, does anyone know if the A6500/A6300 is any better or worse than the 77D for photos, or do they seem about equal? Because if so, I don't really need 4K and the 77D would probably be plenty for my needs and I would get it for around half the price of the A6500/A6300 here, which seems to me to be the more logical decision.

You have the same canon equipment as I do. I upgraded to a D7200 and now purchased the Sigma 150-600C for wildlife. Very happy with that purchase but I dont use the D7200 for video. I usually use a P510 for that although that is not as high a resolution as you are looking for. For some reason I found the switching to video and the controls for video too cumbersome on the D7200. It may just be me though. So I would suggest whatever you decide on do the touch test to be sure the video mode is easy and quick to use. I also found that the D7200 is a heavy camera all on its own so I usually do not carry it around for daily walks in the woods. I kept the T3i and use it with the 55-250 for my walks. Nice and light to carry. It still takes good pictures and I am glad I kept it for the light weight

Forgot to mention, for me the big reason for the update from the T3i was for birds. I wanted something with better low light capabilities with less noise. Fast multi shot mode and lots of shots in a large buffer. What a difference those have made after the upgrade in the enjoyment of getting those shots I used to miss. One thing you may want to try is to setup your T3i for back button focus instead of the shutter release button for focus if you have not already done so. It really helps. I have both the T3i and the D7200 setup for BBF

Yeah, I'll certainly try the touch test to see what i find quicker and easier to use. One of the things I do like about the A6X00 is that they are very lightweight, which would make it better for walks, but the 77D and T3i are the same weight so I don't think this is a major problem, however the A6X00 series are about half the weight of these. I think if i were to go DSLR I would probably go Canon over Nikon. Like I said in my last post, 4K isn't 100% necessary so 1080/60 would be fine, because i'm more worried about photography first. I will certainly try the back button focus on my T3i. I want to update mainly for the same reason: low light capabilities and faster multi-shot. Another big thing I'm looking for is video autofocus, which I've heard the Sony A6X00 is very good at. I'm currently mostly wondering if the A6500/6300 is worth my money or if there is something else that is better for my money than the 77D. I can currently get the 77D for $899 CAD, and I wouldn't need lenses but for the A6500 with 16-50 and 55-210 lenses it is $2325 CAD. After writing this I'm certainly leaning towards the 77D or something that's similar to that.

Yeah, I'll certainly try the touch test to see what i find quicker and easier to use. One of the things I do like about the A6X00 is that they are very lightweight, which would make it better for walks, but the 77D and T3i are the same weight so I don't think this is a major problem, however the A6X00 series are about half the weight of these. I think if i were to go DSLR I would probably go Canon over Nikon. Like I said in my last post, 4K isn't 100% necessary so 1080/60 would be fine, because i'm more worried about photography first. I will certainly try the back button focus on my T3i. I want to update mainly for the same reason: low light capabilities and faster multi-shot. Another big thing I'm looking for is video autofocus, which I've heard the Sony A6X00 is very good at. I'm currently mostly wondering if the A6500/6300 is worth my money or if there is something else that is better for my money than the 77D. I can currently get the 77D for $899 CAD, and I wouldn't need lenses but for the A6500 with 16-50 and 55-210 lenses it is $2325 CAD. After writing this I'm certainly leaning towards the 77D or something that's similar to that.

mirrorless is definitely lighter and smaller but when you put on the larger telephotos for wildlife the weight and size advantage rapidly shrinks. Get a mirrorless if you also intend on using it for other things - events, portraits, street, etc.
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

mirrorless is definitely lighter and smaller but when you put on the larger telephotos for wildlife the weight and size advantage rapidly shrinks. Get a mirrorless if you also intend on using it for other things - events, portraits, street, etc.
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless
I certainly do intend to do other things, such as portraits, events, maybe some weddings, youtube vlogs and short cinematic films. I probably wouldn't need a huge telephoto lens for my wildlife shooting, and these lenses aren't really available at the moment for the sony cameras. The biggest lens i'd be able to get without an adapter is a Sony 55-210, or a Sony 70-300 but the 70-300 is made for full frame cameras, and it's a bit more than i'd like to pay for a lens at the moment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back