Upgrading from a D3100

It's a fully manual focus lens.
It is auto focus on a D7xxx or above. Your D3100 does not have the screw drive focus motor in the body, so you will have to focus manually (or don't even bother with the focus ring, just move the camera a smidgin.)

It is auto focus on a D7xxx or above. Your D3100 does not have the screw drive focus motor in the body, so you will have to focus manually (or don't even bother with the focus ring, just move the camera a smidgin.)
Thanks for your advice. I think this is a good lens and the price is quite good at $160

The picture looks like the manual focus lens to me.

Last edited:

The picture l0oks like the manual focus lens to me.
It's a manual focus lens only. I think this 105mm was introduced back in 1983. Its the 105mm f2. 8 micro.

Consider the Nikon D7200. That is what I upgraded to from a D3300. It lacks some things...like an articulating screen...but has other things....dual card slots, and a focus motor which lets you use less expensive older lenses. You can get one for around $700.00 used, or $900.00 new. It is a Nikon DX model, so it will use the lenses you already have. It has a bigger buffer, so you can shoot more action shots before slowing down. It can shoot time lapse movies. It has 51 AF points. The built in flash can act as commander to control off camera flash units. The top shutter speed is 1/8000 of a second. It is sturdy, being mostly made of a Magnesium alloy. A battery grip is available. If the articulating screen is important to you, consider the Nikon 1 J5. It is a small-point & shoot sized item which takes removable Nikon 1 mount lenses. It is mirrorless, costs $500.00 new, or about $280 used, has a lot of handy features, and-with a Nikon FT-1 adapter-can use Nikon F mount lenses (DX,and FX), like the 50mm F/1.8 you already own.The Crop Factor on the J5 is 2.7...so your 50mm lens will provide the field of view of a 135mm lens.

Consider the Nikon D7200. That is what I upgraded to from a D3300. It lacks some things...like an articulating screen...but has other things....dual card slots, and a focus motor which lets you use less expensive older lenses. You can get one for around $700.00 used, or $900.00 new. It is a Nikon DX model, so it will use the lenses you already have. It has a bigger buffer, so you can shoot more action shots before slowing down. It can shoot time lapse movies. It has 51 AF points. The built in flash can act as commander to control off camera flash units. The top shutter speed is 1/8000 of a second. It is sturdy, being mostly made of a Magnesium alloy. A battery grip is available. If the articulating screen is important to you, consider the Nikon 1 J5. It is a small-point & shoot sized item which takes removable Nikon 1 mount lenses. It is mirrorless, costs $500.00 new, or about $280 used, has a lot of handy features, and-with a Nikon FT-1 adapter-can use Nikon F mount lenses (DX,and FX), like the 50mm F/1.8 you already own.The Crop Factor on the J5 is 2.7...so your 50mm lens will provide the field of view of a 135mm lens.
Quick question if you don't mind. Why would you say that the J5 is better than a D5200 or D5500? I did consider the D7100 and D7200 but the fact that it doesn't have an articulating screen is a con for me as I need that feature.

Quick question if you don't mind. Why would you say that the J5 is better than a D5200 or D5500? I did consider the D7100 and D7200 but the fact that it doesn't have an articulating screen is a con for me as I need that feature.

Articulating screen is available on the D5600 and D7500.

The Nikon 1 cameras are not really upgrading but going to a different system.
IMHO, the primary advantage is the compact size, compared to a dslr.
BUT you do not have a viewfinder with the J series. You are viewing things on the back LCD. Depending on what and how you shoot, that may or may not be an issue. It is to me, I NEED a veiwfinder.

Most reactions

Back