Upgrading from XSi

Charles89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So,

I just got a fairly well payed summer job (Im a college student )

Right now I have a Canon XSi, and I am thinking of going for a bigger camera.

I am thinking of buying a 50D or a 7D (full frames are out of my budget right now :p ).

The main reason im switching is for ergonomics, to get a camera that feels less like a ''toy''. I have huge hands and sometimes I dont like the XSi. Eventho the XSi takes decent pictures. I would like to get more iso and maybe faster shutter speed, as I like shooting close-ups of flowers and sometimes 1/4000 is just not enough.

I know the 7D as some more features like HD videos and 18 or 19 AF points etc...

Help me please :p

im not sure what your question is.. But, i would reccomend the nikon d300(im a nikon guy). I know its a great camera, and has 51 af points, and alot of insanely awesome aspects. Check it out.

I want help to decide between the 50D and the 7D...Nikon is out of the way since I dont want to change my lenses.

Well, I went to my local store to try them out a little, and I'll probably get the 7D lol.

I guess I wanted to get convinced of getting a 50D instead of a 7D, because of the price difference, but I felt in instant love with the 7D.

If ergonomics are your main issue, have you considered just adding a grip to your camera? It greatly improves the feel of those small cameras.

In what situations do you find that 1/4000 is not good enough, but 1/8000 will be?

Keep in mind that with a sensor as packed as the one on the 7D, most experts are saying that you really need to use the highest quality lenses to get the most out of them. That's one reason why Canon is updating some of their lenses. The 70-200mm F2.8 L IS, for example. The first version is pretty darn good by most standards, but they just put out a new version that has improved sharpness etc.

If you are only shooting with lower end lenses, your investment in a high MP camera like the 7D, might not be the best option. Although, it does look like a sweet camera.

Well I went for a new 50D.

I went for this because, it frees my budget for lenses and my next body upgrade will probably be the 5D (maybe it will be called another way when I upgrade since Im keeping the 50D for at least 2-3 years before getting a new body).

I already have 18-55mm and 55-250 kit lenses that I dont use and a tamron 17-50 f2.8 that I do use. So my next lenses will probably be a 70-200mm or a prime 100mm depends. All I know is that from now on I will buy lenses that can be used for a full-frame when I upgrade. I dont think my tamron is a good len for full-frames tho.

Ive read plenty of reviews on the 50D and 7D, and I dont know if its just because its new and shinny, but I do seem to have better image quality with the 50D (most people would tell me IQ wise XSi = 50D)

Anyways thx for the help !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back