upgrading soon- help me decide

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am selling my current cam in a week or two and am upgrading.
i have a few photog friends. I was using a friends Canon XS for several headshots over the last 2 months and ive really grown accustomed to Canon.
So my budget is pretty much $850, and I have been looking around and really have had my eyes set on the Canon T2i.
What does everyone think of this camera?
Then as usual i start talking to other friends and start getting mixed feelings.
I love all photography but mostly i am focused on headshots and two friends, one is nikon user ( so hes biased probably) and the other has a XSi.
those two friends said if i might do video as well, seriously, then i should definitely get the T2i. if i am never going to do video ( im kinda interested in it), then i should get nikon. they said nikon has much better and sharper autofocus and is better for headshots and portraits, and that canon is softer in terms of focus.

what do y'all think? I have some clients lined up for the summer and i want to choose my new gear! :DDDD

just to add.... if the nikon really is sharper and better for headshots and better at focusing, id rather have that than video

Canon is NOT softer on the focus.

Your friend has cheap lenses, apparently.

yeah the canon friend is using the cheap 50 mm 1.8. which is what i would use because if i get the t2i i cant afford a better lens than that lol.

yeah the canon friend is using the cheap 50 mm 1.8. which is what i would use because if i get the t2i i cant afford a better lens than that lol.

It may be cheap, but it's a great lens without a doubt. Not looking for video, I might steer you more towards the 50d than the rebel series.

I have to agree with Ryan, step up from the XSi, if you can afford to.

im thinking of d5000 now actually.. how about that against t2i?
i find the video of d5000 is good enough for my taste i dont really need video professional style at all, so it comes down to JUST STILL PHOTOS with headshots, forget video, which is better t2i or d5000? focusing and sharp images in mind

Keep in mind, sharpness has more to do with good glass.
L glass on an XSi produces very nice sharp images.
It will be the same for Nikon.

Focusing, if you are concerned about speed has a lot to do with lenses as well.
Can't speak on Nikon, some bodies have a focusing motor, some don't...

At $850, you can afford to step up from the XSi. On the Canon side, T1i and T2i fall within your budget. On the Nikon side D5000 and D90 are your options.

Step #1 is to go to a camera store and see how each one feels in your hand. If one of them feels really comfortable in your hand, that'll likely be worth more than any difference in image quality between these.

If holding them in the store doesn't create a clear winner, then you can start splitting hairs on image quality and features between those options, which is what I ended up doing a couple of moths ago.

In terms of image quality, I was happiest with the Nikon D90. The D90 does have a noticeable edge over the T1i and T2i in low light situations. Both Nikons (D5000 and D90) have better AF systems than the T1i and T2i (11pt vs 9pt). The D90 had the best ergonomics for me and the best controls (2nd LCD, two control wheels, dedicated buttons for most frequently used setting etc.), which meant that I can explore more options in my pictures and learn more about photography (if I have to go through menus to change a setting, I know I won't do it very often). The D90 also has the best viewfinder of the four cameras I mentioned.

If you are planning on using a 50mm f/1.8 as your primary lens, one thing to consider is that the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 has a metal mount while the Canon one has a plastic mount. Lenses with plastic mounts are notorious for causing problems. There are lots of complaints about the 50mm f/1.8's mount on Canon's own website (although I'm sure there are many who are happy with that lens as well). That said, the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 won't AF with the D5000 -- so that leaves you with the D90 as the only viable Nikon if you need to AF with the 50mm f/1.8.

Personally, I ended up getting the D90 because of the above reasons and a few others.

All that said, if video is really important to you, T2i does video better than any sub-$1000 DSLR I know of.

Good luck with your choice and happy shopping!

At $850, you can afford to step up from the XSi. On the Canon side, T1i and T2i fall within your budget. On the Nikon side D5000 and D90 are your options.

Step #1 is to go to a camera store and see how each one feels in your hand. If one of them feels really comfortable in your hand, that'll likely be worth more than any difference in image quality between these.

If holding them in the store doesn't create a clear winner, then you can start splitting hairs on image quality and features between those options, which is what I ended up doing a couple of moths ago.

In terms of image quality, I was happiest with the Nikon D90. The D90 does have a noticeable edge over the T1i and T2i in low light situations. Both Nikons (D5000 and D90) have better AF systems than the T1i and T2i (11pt vs 9pt). The D90 had the best ergonomics for me and the best controls (2nd LCD, two control wheels, dedicated buttons for most frequently used setting etc.), which meant that I can explore more options in my pictures and learn more about photography (if I have to go through menus to change a setting, I know I won't do it very often). The D90 also has the best viewfinder of the four cameras I mentioned.

If you are planning on using a 50mm f/1.8 as your primary lens, one thing to consider is that the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 has a metal mount while the Canon one has a plastic mount. Lenses with plastic mounts are notorious for causing problems. There are lots of complaints about the 50mm f/1.8's mount on Canon's own website (although I'm sure there are many who are happy with that lens as well). That said, the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 won't AF with the D5000 -- so that leaves you with the D90 as the only viable Nikon if you need to AF with the 50mm f/1.8.

Personally, I ended up getting the D90 because of the above reasons and a few others.

All that said, if video is really important to you, T2i does video better than any sub-$1000 DSLR I know of.

I found used d90 for $680.
Would you say d90 or T2i?

For still pictures, I found the D90 a better option.

But as always, you will need to make sure any used equipment is in good shape before buying. Also, the D90 sells for $780 new (body only) at Adorama. Does the used one come with any lenses for $680? If not, the used one doesn't seem to be all that much of a savings (13%). If you can find a refurbished one, that may be the best way to get the price down since those come with some sort of a warranty. None of the big stores seem to have any refurb D90s at the moment though.

Question: I heard that the D90 is 'soon to be replaced' by a new model. Anyone know anything about that?

For still pictures, I found the D90 a better option.

But as always, you will need to make sure any used equipment is in good shape before buying. Also, the D90 sells for $780 new (body only) at Adorama. Does the used one come with any lenses for $680? If not, the used one doesn't seem to be all that much of a savings (13%). If you can find a refurbished one, that may be the best way to get the price down since those come with some sort of a warranty. None of the big stores seem to have any refurb D90s at the moment though.
Where did u see $780 for body?
I went to adorama site and only saw $849. Can you link me?

Most reactions

Back