Upgrading to FX, What lenses do I need? I'm losing my mind.

leftatgator

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Need opinions!
I'm somewhere between advanced amateur and semi-pro. I currently have a D60 with 2 basic zooms. Yes, it's a beginner camera but it's all I could afford when I purchased it. I've been shooting for over 30 years using: Minolta XG-1 and x700, Canon AE-1P, Nikon N8008, Mamiya Medium Format, Omega 4x5 view camera, fujifilm digital and then the D60. Plus lots of time in the darkroom.
I now want to move up to something more suited for my experience. I want to keep the D60 as a backup.
I'm going to purchase a D700, but I've now lost my mind trying to figure out what lenses I should get. Money isn't the real issue, I just don't want to make stupid choices.

I started off thinking about the 85mm 1.4g because I want to grow in the area of portraits. But now the 85mm 1.8g confused me. I would like to have some fast lenses. I'm trying to decide if I want primes, zooms or a combination. I shoot just about anything except sports. Lots of nature, some closeups.

Here is my Flickr page so you can see what I'm doing.http://www.flickr.com/photos/74324897@N06/

I'm trying to create my lens list (1,2,3,4) and I've researched to the point of brain fry and I need some help.

I would really appreciate some thoughts and advice.
Thanks!

I am surprised that you need to think about what lenses to get ... with that much experience, I would think you would know what type of lenses are most suitable for your photography styles.

Is there something particular that you are getting stuck about?

Google Nikon Trinity. Search this forum for discussion on the 85mm.

/thread

I'm trying to create my lens list (1,2,3,4) and I've researched to the point of brain fry and I need some help.
1) 14-24mm f/2.8
2) 24-70mm f/2.8
3) 70-200mm f/2.8
4) 105mm f/2.8 micro

That should get you going.

I looked through four pages of your flicker, JH. I see a VERY strong emphasis on selective, narrow-angle of views. LOADS of detail studies, and small-scale landscapes. Almost nothing wide-angle at all...which is fine by me, I'm seldom interested in the wide-angle view of anything either. The D700, Canon 5D, Nikon D3 series--all have big, efficient light-collecting pixels that do not stress lenses much. The D700 will function pretty well with almost any F-mount lens made since 1977, either manual focus, AF, AF-D, or G-series. I would think you might enjoy an "all-new Nikkor" kit, with every lens of the same general era, and the same general color rendering. So, let's say the 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G, the NEW upcoming 85mm f/1.8-G, and the 70-200 AFS-G VR-II.

There are also some fine 3rd party lenses. The Sigma 150mm EX macro for one. I think you'd enjoy that lens. Same with their 105 EX Macro, or the Tamron 90mm AF macro with built-in motor.

I see SUCH a strong,strong emphasis on selective vision in your Flickr that a wide zoom looks like a waste of money and space. I also do not think that the weight and size of lenses like the 14-24 and 24-70 Nikkor zooms are going to be what you really want.

I am surprised that you need to think about what lenses to get ... with that much experience, I would think you would know what type of lenses are most suitable for your photography styles.

Is there something particular that you are getting stuck about?

hahaha - well, you know. My wife decided to buy me the D700. I've never really had good lenses, and I've never really used primes. So I want to grow and improve. All at once I'm trying to plan out buying 2,3, or 4 lenses and it got overwhelming.

I looked through four pages of your flicker, JH. I see a VERY strong emphasis on selective, narrow-angle of views. LOADS of detail studies, and small-scale landscapes. Almost nothing wide-angle at all...which is fine by me, I'm seldom interested in the wide-angle view of anything either. The D700, Canon 5D, Nikon D3 series--all have big, efficient light-collecting pixels that do not stress lenses much. The D700 will function pretty well with almost any F-mount lens made since 1977, either manual focus, AF, AF-D, or G-series. I would think you might enjoy an "all-new Nikkor" kit, with every lens of the same general era, and the same general color rendering. So, let's say the 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G, the NEW upcoming 85mm f/1.8-G, and the 70-200 AFS-G VR-II.

I've never liked many of my wide angle shots. Perhaps it's the lenses I've had or my skill. Would like to get better at that as well.

The "all-new Nikkor" kit idea makes sense. Thanks for the help!

1) 14-24mm f/2.8
2) 24-70mm f/2.8
3) 70-200mm f/2.8
4) 105mm f/2.8 micro

^^^^^ exactly. And to get past "get you going", through in a few prime lenses for more enjoyment
bigthumb.gif

1) 14-24mm f/2.8
2) 24-70mm f/2.8
3) 70-200mm f/2.8
4) 105mm f/2.8 micro

Pricey! I've never really shot much with primes and have grown accustomed to zooms, which are probably my comfort zone lenses now. But, I want to grow and improve and be stretched, and I think a mix of zooms and primes might be the way to go. The 70-200 is probably a definite, but I'm not sure about the rest. Thoughts?

What is most comfortable for ME to shoot with may be totally wrong for you. I'd think by now you know what you like to use and what focal length you use most often.
If I had to get only the basics I'd start with the 24-70 f/2.8. Second would be the 70-200 f/2.8VR. Or maybe switch those... After those? IMO it's all in the primes. But I also do NOT like the super wide angle in most instances. I use my 70-200 for nearly EVERYTHING except groups.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If I had to get only the basics I'd start with the 24-70 f/2.8. Second would be the 70-200 f/2.8VR. Or maybe switch those... I use my 70-200 for nearly EVERYTHING except groups.

The 70-200 is definitely one that I want. Is this a good deal? Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 G ED IF AF-S VR Auto Focus Telephoto Zoom Lens (#238565) | eBay

You might consider the newer 70-200 VRII.
It is as good a lens as I've ever used (that may be faint praise).

I use the 24-70 and the 85 1.4 a lot - and the 70-200 is in the same ballpark for all around greatness.
The low end, the 14-24, while it is a terrific lens, is really a specialty lens and I bought and sold mine just because I didn't use it that much.
The big downside to any of the 70-200 is the weight.
It is heavy and I carry the 70-300 just because it is half the weight.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
no, that's the VR (I) and not the Newer VRII. I see the VRI's going for $1300-$1450 complete.

Most reactions

Back