URGENT: Lens fell apart

Sinister_kid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well i was shooting a school swim meet for the yearbook and was going to wipe off my lens with my shirt since it had gotten fogged up and the glass literally fell right out of the lens and smacked the brick sidelines.

Well i just got everything back together.. and it seems to be fine. But 3 silver o-rings (im guessing) fell out and two of them got mangled.

So my questions are, Is there anything i should to just to make sure its fine? Maybe take it to an actual camera store for starts? (lol) And then about these o-rings what should i do about those?

Thanks.
Matt

The only thing about sending it in is that i didn't register the lens with nikon within 10 days of purchase and the brochure that came with it says if i didnt do that then it wont have warranty?

I would try bringing it to a camera store first and foremost and seeing what they have to say and what they can do. sorry and gl
Tj

What lens was this? I'm not discounting your story, sure seems odd that a lens could just fall apart like that.

It's unfortunate, but it could have happened with any brand. As the others have stated the best thing to do is to take it in to a pro repair shop. You may get the glass back in but it's not going to have anywhere near the same quality results until it gets put in an optical bench...

- Randy

It's an Nikkor 18-135. But i think you guys aren't understanding what i mean. I think the piece is meant to come out.. as it literally just screwed back it. Set it in and twisted it to the right and it secured down. But i think i'll definitely be taking it in.

Are you talking about the filter? Did it have a filter on it?

It's an Nikkor 18-135. But i think you guys aren't understanding what i mean. I think the piece is meant to come out.. as it literally just screwed back it. Set it in and twisted it to the right and it secured down. But i think i'll definitely be taking it in.

No lens I know of has pieces that are supposed to just unscrew. As suggested, could this have simply been a filter?

Filters screw on to the very end of the lens, though I don't know what the O-rings might be.

Here are the pictures of the pieces im talking about. I got everything back together the way it was minus the two "o-rings" seen in the picture. You can also see the way i have the one seated, which is how i guessed the were before?

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

your image is out of focus...
only jokes ofcourse

Is that maybe a tele extender at the end? so it can reach the 135mm?
What are the shots like without it?
if they are upside down / fliped then part shouldn't come out

Here are the pictures of the pieces im talking about. I got everything back together the way it was minus the two "o-rings" seen in the picture. You can also see the way i have the one seated, which is how i guessed the were before?

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

NOWAI!?

If you can't put it together yourself without using tools, Take it to the nearest repair joint, otherwise ship it to nikon to fix it.

I wouldn't bother going to a camera store and asking them about it, they'll tell you exactly what i said above.

Yep, that was your objective lens group that fell out, not a filter.

I too would say it needs to go back to Nikon. Having been unsealed it should now be cleaned before it is reassembled, tested and calibrated.

Most reactions

Back