URGENT: Lens fell apart

I too would say it needs to go back to Nikon. Having been unsealed it should now be cleaned before it is reassembled, tested and calibrated.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! :lol:

So I guess the rumours that Nikon gear falls apart under pressure are true? :lmao: (Just kidding, guys. ;) )

In all seriousness, that sucks. A lot. Go send it in and get it fixed. You might have better luck sending in to Nikon; if a repair joint doesn't have those rings hanging around, they're not going to be able to fix it.

Damn that sucks.

The 'rings' are spacers that hold the front group/element at a very specific distance from the rest of the groups/elements and they are critical for proper focus. You need to take it in and have a qualified repair shop space that group/element properly.

- Randy

Yep, that was your objective lens group that fell out, not a filter.

I too would say it needs to go back to Nikon. Having been unsealed it should now be cleaned before it is reassembled, tested and calibrated.

You seem experience aty this? maybe its because all of those nikons you have? :)

Alright thanks guys. I will try taking it to ritz cameras tomorrow. This blows :(

Alright thanks guys. I will try taking it to ritz cameras tomorrow. This blows :(
I'd take it either to Nikon, or A local repair shop, if you take it ritz it will take 4-6 weeks because they have to ship it out.

I'd take it either to Nikon, or A local repair shop, if you take it ritz it will take 4-6 weeks because they have to ship it out.

Alright ill have to do that. Do you think it would necessay cause damage if i shot without those rings?

it wouldn't cause damage, but your lens might not be able to either focus correctly because elements would be out of alignment, or the lens won't be as sharp for one reason or another.

Honestly, it's an 18-135..not that expensive of a lens, I bet it wouldn't be THAT much more to either buy a new one, or buy a better lens. Might want to look into the 16-85VR? Not to mention, you wouldn't be out of a lens for a little over a month. Might be worth the price difference depending on how much you shoot.

Yep, that was your objective lens group that fell out, not a filter.

You seem experience aty this? maybe its because all of those nikons you have? :)
Nah!
I have a routine pre and post shoot inspection process for all my gear.

Obviously, not everyone does. ;)

K so i went to a local camera place and he said there are 3 part numbers for these rings, meaning 3 different thicknesses, but he also said the ones in my lens might be all the same thickness. Can anybody verify/deny this?

That's why it needs to go to a certified Nikon repair shop rather than a Ritz camera (somewhat less than a pro repair facility). It is not at all uncommon for different versions of the same general lens description, resulting in minor variations in things like spacing or element combinations. I suggest that you contact Nikon directly to arrange a proper repair from a certified shop...

- Randy

I didn't actually take it to ritz but i will for sure contact nikon today.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back