Ursa Major - Whacha think?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was out trying to take photos of the meteors tonight. No meteors, but I'm pretty sure I captured Ursa Major, aka, the big dipper. What do you think?

$sta (1 of 1).JPG $staconst.jpg

Thanks!

WOW--How long was your exposure in the second photo, to get those lines in between the stars?? :biglaugh:

Yes, I'd say that's the Big Dipper, which is cool. But the photo itself just doesn't really have anything in it that attracts my attention and keeps me looking at it. But that's just me.

just wondering what were your settings

Really crisp sharp photo. It is lacking in a nice foreground composition though. If its your first attempt it's well done.

Starry-starry night...but way too much ambient light. The foreground trees do everything they can to "lose the Big Dipper." Get out in the country. No lights, city, ambient, headlights, etc.

$8346089940_575580d144_o.jpg

I like the the way DGM did it better actually. The stars were still the subject even with the trees exposed. I disagree with you ceeboy.

just wondering what were your settings

Exif data shows the following:

[PhotoME]
PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)

[Overview]
URL: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...57292405-ursa-major-whacha-think-sta-1-1-.jpg
File type: JPEG
File size: 535.3 KB
Creation date: 1/4/2013 01:17
Last modification: 1/4/2013 06:35
Make: NIKON CORPORATION (Nikon | Home)
Camera: NIKON D5100
Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.0 Macintosh
Dimension: 1725 x 1142 px (2 MP, 3:2)
Focal length: 18 mm (equiv. 27 mm)
Aperture: F3.5
Exposure time: 20"
ISO speed rating: 200/24°
Program: Manual
Metering Mode: Center-weighted average
White Balance: Auto
Flash: Flash did not fire

Please google Exif reader, and you can do this yourself in the future! :) I use PhotoME personally... but there are a lot of good ones out there!

EIngerson said:
I like the the way DGM did it better actually. The stars were still the subject even with the trees exposed. I disagree with you ceeboy.

Seconded. Photos of the stars generally need something in the foreground to balance the comp.

DGM drew us lines to show where Ursa Major lay in the sky. I took that to mean he thought it couldn't be seen because either the stars were too light or the foreground too bright. It's not a bad image, but as it sits, I find it rather droll; it neither makes me go googley, nor does it make me shudder. If his lines were there because he didn't think most people didn't know the Big Dipper...eh, really.

I do hope you opened the cropped image. I did leave some foreground; not much but enough to show there was some (and maybe too much), but moreso to darken the sky, thus accentuating the stars, thus making old ursa stand on its own. Perhaps not enough to suit you, but for me, it had an overly bright foreground. 'Nuff said.

I will say this is my best star shot so far. As for the lines, I put them there for creative purposes. I noticed the constellation in my photo after taking it, and decided to add the lines in post. If you Google the big dipper it will come up with all sorts of photos with those line drawn. It's for those that don't know what the constellation looks like, or what to look for, that is all. As for light pollution - I know. This was from my suburban backyard and the moon was also still out which explains why it gets brighter going right. You should have seen the original image, now that was mess, especially with white balance, but I liked how this turned out, given the cards I was dealt.

You got half! The big dipper (technically an "asterism" and not one of the official 88 constellations) is the body and tail section of Ursa Major. The the rest of the bear would be above the top of your frame.

But that doesn't mean this isn't a great photo! I like the exposure on the trees in the foreground.

I LOVE the shot. You have proper exposure in the stars...and you have a nice exposure in the trees that doesnt wash out or diminish the stars. The trees add a frame of reference for me.

I really enjoyed this shot!!! Especially the lines too...otherwise id be totally lost!

Thanks

I also like it with the light on the trees. You did a fine job with what you had to work with. I notice you shot at ISO 200. I would try around 800, even higher, you might be able to pull some milky-way like color out of the sky while still catching the stars.

Most reactions

Back