US Marine Corps War Memorial - Sunrise (C&C Welcome)

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Woke up early to catch the sunrise over DC. Been wanting to do this for a long time. Met with a bunch of challenges and learned from the experience.

was out for about an hour, and was happy with these two shots:

US Marine Corps War Memorial Sunrise by The Braineack, on Flickr

C&C is welcome and appreciated.

Last edited:
Nice images; did you use a G-ND on these?

No; I wish i had one. I used my CPL and I'm glad I at least had that. It was very apparent that a GND or any extra ND filter would have been very beneficial. The shots with my 70-200 were unusable without anything on it, I forgot my step-up ring to fit my other CPL to it.

Only one I would have tried is putting the directly behind the troops to get that glow around them, but nice!

I tried. here's the problem:

$problem_with_that.jpg

Even the one I posted I had to clean up a bit. ;)

$trees.jpg

there wasn't any real angle or vantage I was happy with.

Ah yeah I see your point , almost not bright enough to get the effect, I wonder if a lower shutter speed may have helped?

I like them both, but really love the first one. I think the darkness of it lends itself to the feeling I get when I see these monuments. A sadness, for all the fallen heros. Military factors large in my family and I have a huge respect for them. Nicely done.

Ah yeah I see your point , almost not bright enough to get the effect, I wonder if a lower shutter speed may have helped?

Oh i was bracketing, just picked a random frame. I was mainly talking about the tree :)

But I was already shooting at iso50 and F11, so I needed a ND filter desperately.

Last edited:
Went B&W with another just now:

I spent more time removing all the nasty spots that showed up from my sensor, than I did on the processing... I think my body is going back to Nikon soon.

They came out nice pleasant on the eyes and there Nice clean images. I also like that you got motion blur of the flag on #2. Nice Job

I like all of the pics you have posted in this thread. The first is a fantastic representation of what it looks like there. Ive seen a few sunrises there that look just like that.

Most reactions

Back