Used Choice for Macro - Read others of similar questions

Kadroh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So to start off I have read many other posts but I just feel so "Not sure" still so to reassure my self I want to make this post lol

This will be my first DSLR. I Want to shoot my kids, vacation, and everyday life basically on one side. But what I think mostly I want to get into macro photography, more so reverse rings, extension tubes, bellows, ect. compared to buying something like a Tamron 60mm or 90mm dedicated marcro lens.

I have read for almost two years and have been putting it off financially and to learn as much as I could and now its time to strike. Using my tax money I was going to buy a d3200 because of the nice 1080p video funtion as well but now budget wise I am thinking something like a used d3000 or something similar because I need to be able to afford another lens or two and extension tubes. Upgrading into a macro flash rig proabably a DIY setup.

My main question I guess is wanting to stick with nikon besides the d3000 is there another suggestion that would be better for the used ~$350 range? Is there any known issues with the d3000 that I should avoid or anything like not being able to use a flash rig,ect that im probably not thinking about?

Sorry for the probably poor grammar and sentence structure.. its not my strong suit -_-

Thanks in advance!

I see D60, D5000, D3000, D200, and D80 within my used budget some with and some without glass. But thats why im trying to stay under 350 for a used body so I can afford glass and extras as well.
Any of those choices more obvious choices over others?

I'm not a fan of not having an in body focus motor, but a Refurb D5100 from Cameta would seem to fit your needs and it has a much better sensor than any of the other cameras you have listed plus a 1 year warranty... Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera Body - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty add a 18-55 for $70 more for your general shooting Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm G VR DX AF-S Zoom Lens - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty body only is free shipping and no tax...

That was going to be my next question, I will be buying probably a cheaper prime maybe 50mm 1.8 and wanted another decent cheaper used glass for variety I was trying to incorporate my wants for macro something that I maybe can use with extension tubes, bellows, reverse ring, ect. Now the 18-55 kit lens I see as a "Cheapo" by most peoples standards should I save my self a few pennies and skip it or would it be a good all around for vacations and kids,ect.

Also coastalconn thanks for the links I didn't realize I could get a refurb d5100 at the higher end of my price range.. very good possibility

So many people say you have to have a 35mm or a 50mm prime. I don't disagree, however I always recommend for someone starting out to get the kit lens. For 1, it is really cheap. 2, it is actually surprisingly good for being so cheap. 3, most importantly starting out you have no idea if you prefer a 35mm prime or a 50mm prime. Once your familiar with your camera spend a day or 2 at only 35 or 50 and see which one works best for your shooting style. Just remember the lower end Nikon cameras do not have a focus motor so you will have to buy newer af-s style lenses for af to work. For macro it doesn't matter as you always manual focus anyways. Keep an eye out for the Tamron 90mm 172e(I think might be 72en) It was the first AF version and sells pretty cheap sometimes in the $200 area.. Make sure it is not the adaptall version because then it won't meter with your camera...

Aside from budget concerns why are you aiming to go for a macro setup that doesn't involve a dedicated macro lens?

Basically a budget thing for a year or so, I'm going to for sure be getting a dedicated lens, insects, reptiles, and other bugs are a lot of what I want to shoot. So I'm going to save for something with a nice working distance

Most reactions

New Topics

Back