Used DLSR for Beginner Photographer

AlexGavillan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So before I just throw out, "What DSLR should I buy?" let me first say, that I have been doing research for the better part of 3 months. Hoping to pick one up for the holidays, but I do have to adhere to a budget.

1. Budget is around $350 and at this price point I know I can probably only get a body
2. I am looking for used DSLR's since my budget is around $350, any sites to keep away from and things to pay attention to?
3. I was looking at a Canon T5i but they are just a but out of my range. I found a Canon 60D (Canon EOS 60D 18 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body) but haven't done to much research on that model compared to the T5i and T6.

So rather than just say hey tell me what to buy, I have been learning photography and I think anything will be better than my Canon PowerShot A630 (I think thats what it its)

Anyway, just looking for some assistance. Good starter camera?

Thanks,

Alex

Check:

Borrowlenses
Mpb
Keh
Bhphotovideo

As well.

The "baby Nikon bodies", meaning specifically the D40,D40x,D60,the entire D3000-series, and the entire D5000-series can accept even the very oldest Nikon F-mount manual focusing lenses without damage to the camera, as well as newer 1977-2017 manual focusing F-mount lenses (of all manufacturers), so this give the "baby Nikon" owner a LOT of 1959-2017 manual focusing lenses to choose from. This opens up a lot of pawnshop, used lenses, as well as Craigslist lenses--many of which will NOT work on higher-end Nikons.

I'd look at a used Nikon D3200 or newer, or a used D5200 or newer, and a lens.

And you are right: a d-slr will allow you to shoot some things that the PowerShot A630 can not shoot, or which is will not shoot well, or easily.

In Canon, there are some LOW-priced older cameras like the 30D or 40D, which are older but still, are very affordable. The 60D's okay up to about ISO 500 to 640.

Check:

Borrowlenses
Mpb
Keh
Bhphotovideo

As well.

Will do! Thanks for the help.

The "baby Nikon bodies", meaning specifically the D40,D40x,D60,the entire D3000-series, and the entire D5000-series can accept even the very oldest Nikon F-mount manual focusing lenses without damage to the camera, as well as newer 1977-2017 manual focusing F-mount lenses (of all manufacturers), so this give the "baby Nikon" owner a LOT of 1959-2017 manual focusing lenses to choose from. This opens up a lot of pawnshop, used lenses, as well as Craigslist lenses--many of which will NOT work on higher-end Nikons.

And you are right: a d-slr will allow you to shoot some things that the PowerShot A630 can not shoot, or which is will not shoot well, or easily.

In Canon, there are some LOW-priced older cameras like the 30D or 40D, which are older but still, are very affordable. The 60D's okay up to about ISO 500 to 640.

I was looking at the D3400 which is fairly affordable new, and with some kit lens(s). I subscribe to a few photographers on YouTube, and they all seem to use Canon and have a lot of tuitiourals focused around Canon cameras, so I’ve really only researched that brand. Tunnel vision, I know :)

Thanks for the advice. I’ll do some more research.

So before I just throw out, "What DSLR should I buy?" let me first say, that I have been doing research for the better part of 3 months. Hoping to pick one up for the holidays, but I do have to adhere to a budget.

1. Budget is around $350 and at this price point I know I can probably only get a body
2. I am looking for used DSLR's since my budget is around $350, any sites to keep away from and things to pay attention to?
3. I was looking at a Canon T5i but they are just a but out of my range. I found a Canon 60D (Canon EOS 60D 18 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body) but haven't done to much research on that model compared to the T5i and T6.

So rather than just say hey tell me what to buy, I have been learning photography and I think anything will be better than my Canon PowerShot A630 (I think thats what it its)

Anyway, just looking for some assistance. Good starter camera?

Thanks,

Alex

I honestly would not bother with the T6. That is one of Canon "economical" cameras, IMO. The latest generation does not always mean better; the T5i is a better camera. The T5i was the first thought that came to mind. It is a highly reviewed (for beginners anyway) camera and would definitely be deemed as "capable" given your budget. You can buy a refurbished from Canon right now:

Canon EOS Rebel T5i 18-55mm IS STM Lens Kit Refurbished | Canon Online Store

Check:

Borrowlenses
Mpb
Keh
Bhphotovideo

As well.

Will do! Thanks for the help.

I was looking at the D3400 which is fairly affordable new, and with some kit lens(s). I subscribe to a few photographers on YouTube, and they all seem to use Canon and have a lot of tuitiourals focused around Canon cameras, so I’ve really only researched that brand. Tunnel vision, I know :)

Thanks for the advice. I’ll do some more research.

I'm not an expert by any means :D , but the theme seems to be that it is quite difficult in today's world to buy a "bad" camera. I think it really comes down to personal preference...which for me has always been cannon. I generally prefer the look and layout of the Canon. I've also heard that Canon sort of trumps the video world, whereas Nikon has the edge over the stills. Again, it usually comes down to minute details and differences.

Pretty Much.

What's most annoying is all the trade offs between the different model lines.

Gonna turn out to be the best $400 you've ever spent.

Most reactions

Back