Used DSLR?

settons

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am close to purchasing my first DSLR. I am trying to figure out whether I should buy a used unit or a new unit. Has anyone here had good/bad experiences buying used? What should I be looking for when I go and see the unit? Any help with this would be great.

I have found someone selling a Nikon D80 with a 24-120 VR lens for $750CDN. Seems like a pretty good deal to me, thoughts? Does anyone have any knowledge about the lens?

Thanks,

D

Find out how many actuations are on the shutter, get pictures to check the physical condition, ask if they still have the original boxes and stuff.

Generally when they have all that, it's been well taken care of gear.

I got a used one on E-bay and had no problem with it.

I got screwed buying my D50 on ebay, the following link explains the details:

www.task9.com/ebay/

I pasted that link in his feedback. The user has since been banned, but make sure if you do buy a used camera body that you get a proper shutter count. So many people lie to get a sale.

(I've replaced the missing eyecup as well)

how can you get an accurate shutter count? Is that what village idiot means when he says "actuations on the shutter"?

thanks

bump...is there a way to get an accurate shutter count or do I need to take the word of the seller?

Thanks in advance?

bump...is there a way to get an accurate shutter count or do I need to take the word of the seller?

Thanks in advance?

actuations = shutter count.

You have to almost take the seller's word for it if you can't physically see the camera. There's programs that are supposed to tell you, but I think you may need the camera. Rest easy though. Most DSLR's are rated for 50k - 100k shutter actuations. That's just the manufacture's guesstimate.

Plus if the shutter breaks, you can send the camera in to replace it. It's not cheap to some people...I think about $250, but it's not like your camera becomes a paper weight at that time.

I've had my current 30D for about a year and a half. I have almost 9k shutter actuations on it.

There is someone selling a Canon 40D and he says he has had it under 2000 actuations. He claims it is in mint condition and comes with manuals, software, straps, cables and battery and charger.

Does $850CDN body only seem reasonable?

Most reactions

Back