Used Nikon bodies and warranty

hulk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, so I'm keeping an eye out for the various Nikon bodies that surface on Craigslist, and in a lot of case, the poster is selling a camera that was just bought, and that is still "under warranty."

Now, from what I understand, doesn't Nikon only cover the first buyer? Do you need to register for the warranty? If yes, then I'm guessing that if the first buyer hasn't registered yet, then the second buyer can do the registration and Nikon will be none the wiser?

Also, what IS the registration process? Is it just a card that you fill in and put it in the mail? Do you do it online? Is there a deadline after which you can't register for the warranty?

BTW, I'm in Canada. Not sure if things are different in the US or not.
Thanks!

Great work .. really informative .. and thanks a lot for sharing ..

To qualify for warranty work you'll be required to include a copy of the original, dated purchase receipt.

"If your product is under warranty please submit photocopies of your purchase receipt and Nikon warranty."

To qualify for warranty work you'll be required to include a copy of the original, dated purchase receipt.

"If your product is under warranty please submit photocopies of your purchase receipt and Nikon warranty."

So, could the second owner get warranty benefits if he has the purchase receipt of the original buyer?

So, could the second owner get warranty benefits if he has the purchase receipt of the original buyer?

Probably, but the warranty period begins on the date of that receipt. However, a "gotcha" could be the fact that someone else's name is on the receipt.

Most reactions

Back