Used sb-600 or not

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im looking to get an sb-600 for my D90 and I'm thinking to get a used one or not? On craigs list, they go for about $160-170 good condition. At B&H they are $220. Is it worth the extra $50 for brand new and warranty?

Im looking to get an sb-600 for my D90 and I'm thinking to get a used one or not? On craigs list, they go for about $160-170 good condition. At B&H they are $220. Is it worth the extra $50 for brand new and warranty?

It depends. Sometimes I feel like it is because you never know who used it before you. IMO with higher end products I wouldn't mind buying used because people that buy high end stuff will most likely baby their properties

I'm a big fan of used. Just check it carefully. Ask the vendor when and where it was bought and hwo it was used. Look at it VERY carefully: check all of the edges for any sort of damage that would indicate it has been dropped or banged against something, download and study the manual, and check all the functions on your camera, reviewing each shot. Check the battery contacts to ensure there's no evidence of corrosion, and, if all works and all seems in good shape, save the $$.

I too am a big fan of buying used camera gear, but it helps if you have a good basic understanding of how it all works and what some of the common issues could be.

I'm a big fan of used. Just check it carefully. Ask the vendor when and where it was bought and hwo it was used. Look at it VERY carefully: check all of the edges for any sort of damage that would indicate it has been dropped or banged against something, download and study the manual, and check all the functions on your camera, reviewing each shot. Check the battery contacts to ensure there's no evidence of corrosion, and, if all works and all seems in good shape, save the $$.

I've never used an external flash before :( oh man I'll forget all the functions to check... And I probably have to bring batteries too

I've never used an external flash before :( oh man I'll forget all the functions to check... And I probably have to bring batteries too

Definitely, but I would be a little suspicious if the vendor didn't bring any. That would tell me that there might be something he was hoping you didn't find out 'til it was too late. Likewise if he tries to pressure you in any way, tells you that he has someone else who wants it, but 'is doing you a favour', or starts to drop the price before you've even asked, WALK AWAY!

That said, I will add that in *cough* twenty some-odd *cough* years of buying used gear including lenses, bodies, tripods & heads, flash triggers... I've yet to have a bad experience.

the first one i bought was used.
about a year ago and it still going strong without an issue.
the first thing i did look was the color of the plastic on the flash head
its the plastic glass is turning yellow it has been used ALOT and its a sign that the flash heated.

I might spend extra $50 for peace of mind and a warranty

Most reactions

New Topics

Back