Used sb-600?

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am planning to get a flash in the near future but after my recent camera purchase I am strapped for cash. I saw a few sb-600s on craigslist for like $140-$180. Do flashes have limited lifetime? Is it bad to buy used?

Everyone buys used. The used market is amazing, for the most part. Just make sure you inspect before you bring home.

Mark

I bought my SB600 for $120. Works perfect. Found it through Craigslist as a matter of fact. The guy told me that he'd have all the documentation and boxes and such, but when I got there, he had just the flash and the pouch. Told me he wasn't able to find the rest of the stuff that morning. He also told me the reason he was selling it was that he'd sold his D90 and kit lens to a guy that couldn't afford the speedlight too.

Made me think I was buying a stolen piece. He asked for my address to ship the rest of the stuff, so I gave him my work address. Sure enough, a week later all the rest of the kit showed up. I was pretty pleased.

I'm also in the market for a used SB600. What should I be looking for when buying a used one.

Also, for my D5000, a SB600 and a 35mm 1.8 will be a good start to take photos at the nightclub/lounge?

Glad this topic was brought up, thanks

Do not buy a flash unit from anybody who identifies as a wedding or event photographer.
The SB 600 has not been on the market all that long, so it cannot possibly be really old.
Look for one owned by a hobbyist or amateur photographer. Flash units hold up pretty well,and tend to hide their true age surprisingly well, so look for one in very good condition,without a lot of wear on the case or buttons or a lot of scratched on the display. The vast majority of SB 600 units will be amateur owned ones, so it's probably a good bet that a used one will be a reasonably safe bet.

I'm also in the market for a used SB600. What should I be looking for when buying a used one.

Also, for my D5000, a SB600 and a 35mm 1.8 will be a good start to take photos at the nightclub/lounge?

Glad this topic was brought up, thanks

Yeah, that would be a great setup for that type of situation! I got it myself. Makes great party pics, just don't drink too much with it.

I know I've broken two SB-600s over the past two years or so. The smallest drop and they break. My LP 120 dropped from a five foot light stand, broke in two pieces and I just snapped it all back together and presto, it worked! The SB-600; cat pushed it off the coffee table and never worked again. The second one I was just an idiot and knocked over a light stand. I keep buying them though ;-)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back