User Entry Level DSLR on for $200-$300?

ILikePictures

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I'm new to the forum, and I'm currently looking for a used DSLR for 200-300. Can anyone recommend an entry level DSLR for that price that would give me my biggest bang for my buck, and that I could purchase through ebay? or Craigslist? Or should I just wait and save up more money for another DSLR.:thumbup:

Rebel XS.
Easy to learn on and cheap in case you get bored with the hobby.

Cameras are cheap ... lenses are not.

Most will say ... spend money on glass.

I was thinking of the Nikon D40x instead of the Rebel XS. Do you think the rebel would be better?

KEH.com is selling Canon Rebel XT models for under $300. You could also get a Canon 20D (body only) for about that much.

Beside Canon Rebels, I saw Nikon D50 or D70 around that price. I bought a D50 kit (few thousand clicks) with camera bag from local craigslist for a friend for $250 about a year ago. And saw a D70 body today for $200 (around 12000 clicks). And I sold my Canon Rebel XTi kit last year for $360

Id try and find a D40 or higher model

Id try and find a D40 or higher model

For under $300 the first thing that comes to mind for Nikon is a used D40 and a used 18-55mm lens. That should definitely get you started and is a nice setup to start with.

You can always wait for the next more expensive option and never do anything.

Good luck,
Scott

i was also going to suggest a d40 and used 18-55.
solid stuff.

I was thinking of the Nikon D40x instead of the Rebel XS. Do you think the rebel would be better?
Between those 2 just flip a coin, they are essentially equal.
I don't think so. I own a Rebel XS and think there are 2 major differences between the two. Rebel XS is based on a CMOS sensor versus the CCD in the D40x/D60/D3000, which results in a visible difference in low light performance. And Canon, unlike Nikon, isn't crazy about removing useful buttons, like ISO etc. from the entry level DSLRs. Whatever you choose, some time after your purchase you'll want to upgrade, probably because of the low light performance or ergonomics. Why not get the better one right away?

KEH.com is selling Canon Rebel XT models for under $300. You could also get a Canon 20D (body only) for about that much.

Got mine on Ebay for $305 last year. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back