What's new

using 10 stop ND filter with flash

CouncilmanDoug

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
335
Reaction score
55
Location
Fl
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Decided to take a long exposure of this fountain in my house, thought that popping a flash a bunch of times may look interesting over the 30 second exposure, I think it made it much better, might try mixing the two for more serious shots later.
no flash
8370519875_13076f1ff5_z.jpg


with flash and a slight crop
8371576366_c51d5085ba_z.jpg
 
ND filters are fun to play with. I wish I had one.

I like the uncropped version, but just needs more light on the front of the fountain like in your cropped shot.
 
New toys are always fun to play with, but I gotta ask........... why do you have a birdbath in your house?
 
my mom keeps it by her orchids, and I guess it helps them somehow? I really don't know, I don't ask questions haha
 
Birdbath = humidity = happy orchids!

The only problem I see with the one you flashed is that you now have competing light sources that won't make sense to the viewer. A bit overdone on the pineapple especially, it needs more shadowing / contrast.

I prefer the un-flashed one...
 
I'd think the flash indoors would let you drop the exposure outdoor, and get the windows to be darker and richer.

And instead of the ND, maybe just stop down to bring the outdoors into focus as well.

Just a thought.
 
If you pop the flash from various angles, you wind up light painting.

One of the effects you can get, which you did in this test to a degree, is that of "where the heck is the light coming from?" which is a kind of an HDRish look. This can be good or bad. I quite dislike the second one in this case, with the flash, specifically because the pineapple appears to be well lit.. from nowhere.. and it's just kind of weird looking.
 
If you pop the flash from various angles, you wind up light painting.

One of the effects you can get, which you did in this test to a degree, is that of "where the heck is the light coming from?" which is a kind of an HDRish look. This can be good or bad. I quite dislike the second one in this case, with the flash, specifically because the pineapple appears to be well lit.. from nowhere.. and it's just kind of weird looking.

OMG... you agreed with me again... QUIT IT! Stop it right now! You are doing that on purpose! MOM!:greenpbl:
 
If you don't stop agreeing I'm turning this car around and going home, you hear me?
 
I actually did shoot one with just a small amount of flash, you guys like this one better?
8372738045_5309a93f1d_z.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom