Using a non Sony flash

ernestoc33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I purchased a flash online that was labeled for use with the Sony Alpha line of cameras.

It only seems to work in manual mode and the camera does seem to recognize it at all.

I don't have all that much money is there a flash out there that will work automatically with Sony that's cheaper than one of their flashes?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

How cheap is cheap enough ?

The entry level Sony flash (HV-F20AM) is 150$

I've seen that one and its very affordable. My budge right now tops at at about 75.

I got it from camera.com its its just branded Dslr300S

No, what flash did you buy?

That's the exact one. The friken box and item description lied. You guys know of one that would work like one of the Sony made ones for my price range.

Does the box say it's TTL compatible? Most of those cheapie flashes like the Yongnuo (which is packaged under several different brand names) are all manual. It's doing exactly what it is supposed to do. You have to set the flash fully manually and it won't work as a TTL and will not communicate with the camera at all. It ONLY uses the signal sent to fire. That's it.
You aren't going to find anything in your budget that isn't the exact same thing. Well, maybe Bower or SunPak make one? They are junk, but they'll be better than the on board flash by a LOOOOONG shot for the time being.

So far I have found that Yongnuo makes an awesome flash for around 75$ , the YN560 is awesome and its my next flash here soon!

So far I have found that Yongnuo makes an awesome flash for around 75$ , the YN560 is awesome and its my next flash here soon!
It is an awesome unit for the price, however it is the exact same problem for the OP. It is NOT TTL and will only work manually.

Most reactions

Back