Using a Speedlite 270 EX II off-camera with a T3i

visualsplat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to use my Speedlite as an off-camera strobe, so I got:
- a Vello Hotshoe Adapter w/ Topshoe (Vello Hot Shoe Adapter with PC Socket + Top Shoe - HSA-PSC B&H ) for the Speedlite
- a Vello Universal Hot Shoe Adapter (Vello Universal Hot Shoe Adapter for PC Connection HSA-PCU B&H ) to put on my camera
- and a Male PC to Male PC sync cord (Impact Sync Cord - Male PC to Male PC - 6' (1.8 m) 10032370 B&H ) to connect the two.

But my camera won't display the external flash menu, saying the flash in incompatible or its power is turned off (and the power is turned on). What might I be doing wrong?
Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I just noticed you're using a Speedlite 270 EX II, I don't think it's capable of manual flash mode.

You're probably better off using the wireless master function of your camera to trigger the flash optically.

I just noticed you're using a Speedlite 270 EX II, I don't think it's capable of manual flash mode.

You're probably better off using the wireless master function of your camera to trigger the flash optically.
Yeah, my Speedlite doesn't have a manual mode, just an On/Off/Wireless switch. Since it doesn't have a manual mode, is it even possible to sync to the camera? I've been using the wireless mode to optically trigger it like you said, but I am not a huge fan of it.

Yeah, my Speedlite doesn't have a manual mode, just an On/Off/Wireless switch. Since it doesn't have a manual mode, is it even possible to sync to the camera? I've been using the wireless mode to optically trigger it like you said, but I am not a huge fan of it.

Yes, but you'd need a canon compatible TTL cable, the strobist kinda setup only works for manual flash.

Hang onto your PC cord kit though, it could still come in handy manual only flashes can be pretty good and are cheap ;)

Yes, but you'd need a canon compatible TTL cable, the strobist kinda setup only works for manual flash.

Hang onto your PC cord kit though, it could still come in handy manual only flashes can be pretty good and are cheap ;)

Good to know! Thanks for your help.

Most reactions

Back