Using canon flash with nikon body?

jnelson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Off camera obviously, i have searched and read a lot about the voltage issues using different brand flash units on different brand bodies, but not much about mixing brands and using them off camera.

My dad has a canon 430ex flash unit that i can get from him and wanted to know if it will work on my Nikon D40 with a set of cactus v4 triggers.

Thanks

No problem, I do it all the time. My friend is an avid Canon user and I often share his lighting setup. Other way around works just as well.

Great, sounds like i scored a nice flash on the cheap then (thanks pops)

How would this work if i wanted to use a PC cable? I have not used ANY type of off camera flash at this point so I am trying to do all my research on the front end and get educated on the topic (yes, strobist 101 is a major part of my life right now lol). I envision a PC cable as a type of "extension cord" of sorts, so how would this effect its voltage if it is connected to the camera. hopefully i explained that right, i just REALLY dont want to mess up my camera, i know its just a D40 but its MY D40 and im really proud of owning it, as im sure you all are with your cameras.

thanks

Try to find out the safe voltage rating for your D40. Most modern cameras are pretty good (Canons are now something like 250v) and the flashes only need something like 6v...or less than 25 anyway.

You could use a PC cord, but keep in mind that the 430 doesn't have a socket for cords of any type, so you would need an adapter like THIS. This would also be needed if you wanted to attach the Cactus receiver via a cord...but I think the Cactus has a hotshoe (mine does anyway).

I dont have the Cactus V4's yet but am ready to buy them, just trying to decide if i am better off using a PC cable? I have heard that a long PC cable acts as some sort of regulator and can help with the voltage issues, ive also researched some safe sync hotshoe adapters that help as well.

Get the flash off camera, get the cactus units... you'll be much happier.

All it takes is one small tug and that flash goes flying to the floor and that flash that you scored... is gone.

Do it once, do it right... and enjoy.

Most reactions

Back