using manual settings.

darkpbstar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello. First question. When in, say, aperture priority, do I have to have the lense switched over to 'M', instead of 'A'? And another, is there a thread or sticky somewhere on how to use manual modes? I am trying to learn, but get stuck. If I put it on P mode, and move the command dial, someimes nothign changes at all, all though my book sais "moving the dial right will increase f/# (lower aperture) and left will....." it might be the other way around, but either way, it often won't change anything at all. I just really want to use the camera in manual modes, no more auto. I want to be more involved with each picture. Let me also say that I've had my camera for like a week, and have been out 3 times to take photos, always using the preset modes (landscape, auto, macro...you get it.)
Thanks! I am also going tomorrow morning to hike at a state park here, but unfortunetly will be using auto, for I doubt anyone will respond before I go. Well thanks!

I am no expert so sorry of this is wrong but the M and A on the lens is just for focus. So auto focus and manual focus. These are very different from camera modes of auto and manual.
I am not sure about P mode but if you have the camera in aperture priority and turn the dial do you see the aperture change in the view finder?

Focus is set on the lense when using Canons and pretty sure its the same with Nikons. M is manual Exposure and A is Aperture priority. If when you go from M to P and nothing changes at all chances are you are correctly setting your exposure meter. This is generally a good thing.

Hello. First question. When in, say, aperture priority, do I have to have the lense switched over to 'M', instead of 'A'?

Aperture priority has nothing to do with the M or A settings on the lens. M stands for manual focusing, A stands for AUTO focus.

And another, is there a thread or sticky somewhere on how to use manual modes?

Awesome question. No, not really, BUT... if you learn teh basics, you will learn how to use your camera in manual mode. I suggest that you start off with UNDERSTANDING EXPOSURE from Bryon Peterson. Google it.

Let me also say that I've had my camera for like a week, and have been out 3 times to take photos, always using the preset modes (landscape, auto, macro...you get it.)

Don't get stuck on only one mode (manual or any other), get to know all that your camera can do. With experience and time, things will fall into place and you will choose the best tool to get the picture.

"P Mode" is an abbreviation for "Program Automatic Exposure" or something similar.

In this mode, the camera chooses both the aperture and shutter speed automatically, meaning you cannot change either. The "manual" thing about it is that all other features, from white balance to flash, are left up to you. When it's in "P Mode" and you turn the dial, nothing at all should happen because the aperture is fully automatic.

I think you may be confusing this "P Mode" with "Aperture Priority," which will be represented by an "A" on your dial (or an "Av" on some other cameras, I have one of each). In this mode, rotating the dial will change the aperture and the camera will automatically set the shutter speed to match. Like "P Mode," all other settings should be under your control. Aperture priority is an extremely useful mode for many photographers, and it's what I use when I'm not in full manual.

Hope this clarification helps.

"P Mode" is an abbreviation for "Program Automatic Exposure" or something similar.

In this mode, the camera chooses both the aperture and shutter speed automatically, meaning you cannot change either. The "manual" thing about it is that all other features, from white balance to flash, are left up to you. When it's in "P Mode" and you turn the dial, nothing at all should happen because the aperture is fully automatic.

I think you may be confusing this "P Mode" with "Aperture Priority," which will be represented by an "A" on your dial (or an "Av" on some other cameras, I have one of each). In this mode, rotating the dial will change the aperture and the camera will automatically set the shutter speed to match. Like "P Mode," all other settings should be under your control. Aperture priority is an extremely useful mode for many photographers, and it's what I use when I'm not in full manual.

Hope this clarification helps.
Incorrect. Nikon's "Program" mode has a "Flexible Program" capability where the user modifies the Program curve by rotating the command dial. Proper exposure is maintained but the user determines the relative importance of high/low shutter speeds and large/small apertures.

According to Nikon:
Flexible Program
In mode P, different combinations of shutter speed and aperture can be selected by rotating the main command dial (“flexible program”). Rotate the main command dial to the right for large apertures (small f/-numbers) that blur background details or fast shutter speeds that “freeze” motion. Rotate the main command dial to the left for small apertures (large f/-numbers) that increase depth of fi eld or slow shutter speeds that blur motion. All combinations produce the same exposure. While flexible program is in effect, a indicator appears in the control panel. To restore default shutter speed and aperture settings, rotate the main command dial until the indicator is no longer displayed, choose another mode, or turn the camera off.

If I put it on P mode, and move the command dial, someimes nothign changes at all, all though my book sais "moving the dial right will increase f/# (lower aperture) and left will....." it might be the other way around, but either way, it often won't change anything at all.
I don't use Flexible Program myself but I suspect that it won't accomplish anything if the lighting is already at an extreme.

I too am new to photgraphy and was having trouble with this same sort of thing. I picked up "Understanding Exposure" at the library and it did a great job of explaining everything. Take a look at it and it should explain most questions you have.

I got the book he did right after that, called Understanding Digital Photography. Done by the same author, it has aperture, shutter speed, composition, file types, ect ect. Just haven't read it all yet.

oh yea, I was using apperture priority mode today, and was having fun with it, more fun that auto for sure, I was able to blur the background when I wanted(of course as you know...)

oh yea, I was using apperture priority mode today, and was having fun with it, more fun that auto for sure, I was able to blur the background when I wanted(of course as you know...)

It's worth playing with that and shutter priority as well as the pre-set settings and working up to manual mode. That way you can see all the different ways you can use your camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back