Using my SLR lens on a D80, can I and what happens?

Hair Bear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This whole switch to digital is driving me nuts. I just get one bit of info and then another side swipes etc.

As I can't make my mind up on lens v cost etc can I buy the D80 back and use my existing 35-70mm Nikon lens?

Does it then become a 55-105?

How is the aperture set?

If I can do this it would be a less pain full way in to digital and I can save up for the lens I want later.

At 55-105, if this is the case, it would be an ideal lens. I'll buy a cheaper 50mm with a low fstop

If I can do this it would be a less pain full way in to digital and I can save up for the lens I want later.

I live in the Canon world, but I did exactly what you want to do and it did work very nicely. So I suppose it works just as fine with Nikon too.

If it is an AF lens, then you lock the aperture ring at minimum aperture and control it with the camera. If it is a pre-AF, it won't work on the D80 because the D80 needs a cpu lens in order to boot. You'll just get an error message. If it is a pre AF lens and you want to use it, then I would choose a D50 or D70 instead.

Thanks, its an AF lens. Should I get excited now? I've been fighting with this for some time

Alex, could I suggest you take that 'enter now' page of your site. If i didn't want to enter I wouldn't click your link. Replace it with a welcome page saves time.

Did you do a coach tour to Tulum or drive? I rented a Beetle and had a blast driving there.

Lots of your shots have no people in, how did you manage that?

Alex, could I suggest you take that 'enter now' page of your site. If i didn't want to enter I wouldn't click your link. Replace it with a welcome page saves time.

Well, that page is your last chance not to enter, it roughly tells you what the page is about.
I know the way to my images is rather lengthy that way, which is not good in terms of advertising.

Just recently shortened that, but the entry page still remains. The original idea was to have a flash intro there which I never got around to actually do it.

Did you do a coach tour to Tulum or drive? I rented a Beetle and had a blast driving there.

I normally never go on organised tours, i prefer to plan it all myself and be my own master. If I have a guide, then it is in a very small group of 4 or 5 maximum, all else would spoil photography ;).

All of Yucatan was done with a rented car. Actually we stayed in Tulum as our main base.

Lots of your shots have no people in, how did you manage that?

By good planning plus a bit of luck. Choose the right time of the year,
get up early, plan your shots (on some of them the "crowd" has just been avoided by choosing the right perspective), and, most importantly, travel alone or in tiny groups.

Well, that page is your last chance not to enter, it roughly tells you what the page is about.
I know the way to my images is rather lengthy that way, which is not good in terms of advertising.

Just recently shortened that, but the entry page still remains. The original idea was to have a flash intro there which I never got around to actually do it.

I normally never go on organised tours, i prefer to plan it all myself and be my own master. If I have a guide, then it is in a very small group of 4 or 5 maximum, all else would spoil photography ;).

All of Yucatan was done with a rented car. Actually we stayed in Tulum as our main base.

By good planning plus a bit of luck. Choose the right time of the year,
get up early, plan your shots (on some of them the "crowd" has just been avoided by choosing the right perspective), and, most importantly, travel alone or in tiny groups.

Don't give any body chance not to get on your web site, attention spans are short and they will click off at any point. Don't put flash on either it stops a lot of people instantly.

Holiday and getting up early? I can feel the pain in that bt can see it was worth it.

I hate coach tours too, we did one to the other place and I had to rent a car for the second. Fantastic place to visit and very interesting. Looking at the map shows there are still several sites waiting to be uncovered.

I would like to see those places before the commercial stuff arrives.

Looking at the map shows there are still several sites waiting to be uncovered.

I would like to see those places before the commercial stuff arrives.

Muyil is still a very quiet site south of Tulum (also on my webpage).

Guatemala is great too, will hopefully put my Tikal images on the page soon :) Also Belize is amazing, and less overrun than Mexico.

If it is an AF lens, then you lock the aperture ring at minimum aperture and control it with the camera. If it is a pre-AF, it won't work on the D80 because the D80 needs a cpu lens in order to boot. You'll just get an error message. If it is a pre AF lens and you want to use it, then I would choose a D50 or D70 instead.

I thought some Nikons models have light meter issue with pre-AF lens, does anyone recall the models do and done?

Muyil is still a very quiet site south of Tulum (also on my webpage).

Guatemala is great too, will hopefully put my Tikal images on the page soon :) Also Belize is amazing, and less overrun than Mexico.

I'll keep an eye out for them

Most reactions

Back