Using natural light... too contrasty? C&C please!

jenn76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographicmemories.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this photo over the weekend... it was one of my favorites from the day. Please don't let that stop you from being honest with your opinion though! I just got a little lighting setup, and had been toying with that quite a bit, but I really liked the way the natural light was coming through the window, so I shot a few that way. This photo definitely has its dark and light areas, but I see it as more of a dramatic lighting, and I like it. I did it in black and white too... I like that one also. I'd like to experiment more with natural light like this... judging by this photo, any tips for what I could do differently for next time? (And yes, I know I cut the baby's fingertip off.) :blushing: Oh, and I'm irritated with Photobucket... in my file, the baby is in focus. Mom is in a little less focus and Dad is blurred.

Thanks in advance! ;)

f/1.8
1/125
ISO 200

IMG_3113.jpg

Like the thought and idea...would just like to see alittle better focus. Especially in the baby's eyes

Thanks for your reply. Like I mentioned in my original post, the baby is in much better focus on my computer... Big Mike said before that it's something to do with Photobucket compressing the file size or something like that. I need to learn how to resize them before uploading to photobucket, I guess. I went ahead and sharpened it up in my file anyway, just to be on the safe side. Thanks again.

Very nice shot, I like it. Composition-wise maybe you could have moved out further or asked the father to move into the shot just a bit more. Could have possibly created a more intimate photograph. The natural light has cast some well put shadows.

This is much a rendition of the classic shot I've seen hanging in many people's houses B&W. Similar to this: Photo these shots typically have everyone dressed in neutral colors giving a very clean look to it all.

^^not my photo, just used as an example.

I like it. i think it would look awesome black and white as well

Here it is in black and white. I really like it both ways. I like it in color, because even though I didn't desaturate or anything, the tones are very subdued. I love it in black and white too, though!

IMG_3113bw.jpg

i like this shot, especially in black and white. However, i like photos that have a lot of contrast. I don't take pictures to show what I saw. Anyone can do that. I take pictures to show what I felt. I think adding contrast helps me communicate that.

In this photo, the contrast and shadowing allow you to feel like the family is the center of attention.

I have to say I'm not a fan. It doesn't really make sense to the eye. I feel like the fact that the mom is standing more or less vertical, and the dad is at a big angle, and with the picture so dark as to not see what's really going on, it just feels unnatural. Also, I feel like the dad just doesn't fit into the picture at all. I think it would be much better if he just wasn't there. being out of focus and poorly lit in the background, it's seems kinda creepy and weird to me. I also think that the baby's eye direction immediately leads you out of the frame. Good idea, but didn't quite make it for me.

I like the lighting, but not the framing. With the baby being pushed into the corner, and its eyeline pushing us even further it just feels like the baby is going away from the mother. That might not be to bad, but the mother is calm and warm.
Also, I think it would be funny if the dad was in the background starring straight into the lens, eyes wide.

Thank you so much for your honesty and opinions. As my signature line says, I still have a lot to learn! I really like the lighting in this one, but I think you're both right about the framing. Definitely could see some improvement there. And that's exactly why I posted this... sometimes when we (as a photographer) take a photo, it's difficult to see it from an unbiased perspective. That's why you guys are all so great! The mom loved the photo, as did her facebook friends, but as I read recently on one of the threads on the forum, it's easy to impress those who aren't photographers. ;) I'll definitely keep everyone's opinions in mind when i shoot this type of scenario again. Thanks again! :hugs:

Oh, and btw, the baby was looking out the window... it was easy to use window light, as the baby was very amused looking out. That's why his line of sight goes out of the frame. I'll have to rethink the positioning on this.

Really like it, natural photo, needs some definitive focus.

I like the black and white photo a lot. In the color, i'm a little distracted by the red on her cheek, and on baby's chin. Its such a simple composition with very little lighting, the black and white really adds some feeling to the pic for me.

Anyone else think the guy in the background would look good if he was in focus too?

Most reactions

Back