Using off camera flash to shoot hockey

no, do it all your self. Many wedding photog do this especially if you use a small lens. You can easily shoot with one hand on the camera, one holding the flash. If you use a bigger heavy lens, you can also use monopod on the camera.

I see that ending in me dropping something expensive. Holding a fully extended monopod up over the glass, while holding my camera with a 70-200 2.8 on it, and trying to follow fast action. Yeah, I'm just not that coordinated lol.

I'm thinking I could use a monopod as an extension on a light stand though, with enough electrical or gaffers tape and some zip ties. Problem is I only have one monopod. Hmm...

use a vice or some sort of grip to attach your flash to the top of the glass. Most rinks have netting which you could ask the zamboni driver or a worker if you could hang a flash up high, they should have a ladder.

use a vice or some sort of grip to attach your flash to the top of the glass. Most rinks have netting which you could ask the zamboni driver or a worker if you could hang a flash up high, they should have a ladder.

I like the idea of mounting the flash to the top of the glass, but a puck could hit it there so I'd rather not if I don't have to.

As far as hanging it in the netting, that's a little too much work for now. I'd do it, but I want the rink to get comfortable with me being there before I start asking favors like that.

no, do it all your self. Many wedding photog do this especially if you use a small lens. You can easily shoot with one hand on the camera, one holding the flash. If you use a bigger heavy lens, you can also use monopod on the camera.

Haha I'm not quite that coordinated bro :p

Not with the flash on a monopod extended high enough to get over the glass anyway.

I'm going to shoot this in 4 hours lol. Guess I'm gonna find out...

I would see if you can clamp the off camera flash to the referee's helmet. He's always up close and looking right at the action. It would be perfect.

I would see if you can clamp the off camera flash to the referee's helmet. He's always up close and looking right at the action. It would be perfect.

Haha you know a ref that actually watches the action and doesn't just pull calls out of his arse? I WANNA MEET HIM!!!

I shoot alot of hockey and I never need a flash. Turn your ISO shot wide open and 200 to 250 shutter speed. Make sure you do a custom WB. Good luck

Well I shot the game lastnight. Got off three flash burts before security told me flash isn't allowed during hockey games. Which is bull because it was behind the goalie and aimed high enough that he would have never noticed it. But it's their rules and I've gotta follow them. Hopefully I can figure out a solution.

I don't feel that 1/250th of a second is fast enough to freeze motion in hockey. Maybe when they're just skating it is. But not when your shooting the goalie making a save, or a player hitting a slapshot. I cranked my iso to Hi 1 n my D80, equivalent to 3200, with an f2.8 lens and was pulling a shutter speed of ~1/800th to 1/1000th. And I still had motion blur in some shots.

I got alright shots. But nothing that I feel is good enough to sell to parents (which was my goal). The players need fill light on their faces. I haven't imported the photos yet, but when I do I'll be sure to post examples. I need to go to a practice and prove to them that I can indeed use flash without distracting anyone, as long as its set up right.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back