Using Polaroids to Test

Fekhten

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, I keep reading about using a Polaroid to test a scene before shooting it on, say, a 35mm. Sounds like a winning idea and like a lot of pros do this. But I haven't been able to find out what Polaroid model the pros use and I haven't located any Polaroid instant monochrome film.

Can anyone recommend which model Polaroid and which Polaroid film to use in this way? Will a simple $25 Polaroid camera do the trick?

Thanks!

Fekhten

You would need a poloroid back that fits your camera to test exposures with poloroids. Some 35mm cameras have these backs but I think it's rare. This is a practice with large format photography when the film is expensive. With 35mm you're better off just bracketing.

I think generally when the pros uses polaroid they have a separate polaroid back that fits onto their camera (high end cameras, especially medium format, have the capacity for multiple backs). I don't know if using a standard cheapy polaroid would work the same (but I'm not saying it wouldn't, since I don't know...)

Yep you'd definately need a polaroid back for decent results. Those point and shoot /amature ones wont give you the same control/results as a polaroid back. I'm a big fan of polaroid. I've recently shot loads in the studio. It means you arent shooting your negs/trans "blind". You have a good idea of your final result. It's really not cheap mind you. You're looking at a pound a shot (they come in packs of 10). You get a wide vareity of polaroid style films tho (polaroid is the brand not the type of film...like Hoover is a brand and not a style of household appliance :wink: )..I like Fuji silk instant film. Good luck.

I'm thinking that immediacy plays a part, also. You need to get it spot on right then. If you find afterwards that the exposure is slightly off, it's not likely you're going to be able to assemble the studio/model/etc again in a timely or cheap fashion.

My landscape photog buddy shoots 4x5 E6, and he always tests his exposure with ISO 100 BW Polaroid. It's cheaper than paying for film and development on bracketed shots.

On the other hand, I shoot 4x5 BW, so I rarely have to bracket, but even if I do, Polaroid film is more expensive than shooting and developing a few extra sheets of BW. I mostly use Polaroid in lens/camera tests and to give the folks I'm photographing something to take home. I have a bunch of color that I'm supposed to start trying Pola tranfers with.

I don't know that I've even seen a 35mm SLR with a Pola back, but I'm sure someone has done it. It would probably be a permanent modification, meaning you'd need two models of the same equipment, one to shoot Pola film and one to shoot regular film. 35mm is considered cheap enough just to bracket every time if need be.

For 4x5 Studio stuff I use type 55 Poliriod I love the stuff neg and a print wow dosnt get better. If your doing 35mm I have used a digi to check my lighting and exposure of course you need to use a SLR dig or something with manual.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back