Using Softboxes

The SU-800 (which is NOT the SB-800) is 250 bucks. Not cheap, but not expensive either for an all purpose wireless commander.

But why not just get an SB800 since it'll only cost an extra $100 or so and will add additional light?

There is a light modifier that combines the attributes of an umbrella and a softbox and is a nicely portable package.

It's made by Photek and is called the Softlighter II.

It comes in several sizes. It works really well on location with a Vagabond Power Pack.

The SU-800 (which is NOT the SB-800) is 250 bucks. Not cheap, but not expensive either for an all purpose wireless commander.

But why not just get an SB800 since it'll only cost an extra $100 or so and will add additional light?

Because the SB800 used off camera will not be able to trigger the SB600's. An SB800 on camera serves no other purpose than being used as a commander - unless you have a ringflash or some other light modifier attached to it.

Because the SB800 used off camera will not be able to trigger the SB600's. An SB800 on camera serves no other purpose than being used as a commander - unless you have a ringflash or some other light modifier attached to it.

I realize that, but using 3 flashes can come in handy, even if one is mounted on camera (ceiling bounce, direct with modifiers, etc.). Not saying the SU-800 is a bad idea, but who would turn down an extra light source for the small increase in cost? She would be spending more $ on lighting than her whole kit costs at this point anyways.

And sorry to the OP, this has gotten way off topic.

Well thanks for all the info. I'm looking for something very simple at this point. The less complicated the better. Why does everything have to be so confusing these days anyway. The less equipment the better as well.

Oh also....I keep seeing you guys go back and forth over the SB800 and the SU800. I had originally planned just to get the SB600. So will I need to get the SB or SU800 instead of the 600?

You can use the SB600 by itself. To use it off camera however (and in a softbox) you will need a way for the D60 to fire the SB600. Your options wold be: SU-800 from Nikon. This is a dedicated COMMANDER unit that can be used on ANY Nikon dSLR body, so if you ever upgrade, you will always have that. It is only a commander and does not function as a flash unit. This is the simplest option, however an SU-800 costs 250 bucks. Pocket Wizards/Cactus Triggers. Cheaper option is to buy a SET of these. You will need two - one to act as a trigger/transmitter and one to act as a receiver. The trigger serves the function of the SU-800. Depending on what setup you get, Pocket Wizards can end up being more expensive as, at minimum, you would need to purchase two of these. The problem is, if your flash unit does not have a sync port - you are out of luck. Older Nikon Speedlites (SB-24, SB-26, etc) have sync ports so you could go the used market route and pick up some of these. However, you will ONLY be using these in manual mode so knowing how light is affected by shutter speed and aperture are a must. The final method is using infared transmitters and receivers. Essentially you are buying a "hot-shoe" for your flash (as opposed to a "cold-shoe" which is nothing more than a mount for your flash unit) and attaching a transmitter to your camera. These work on "line of sight", so if the receiver cant see your transmitter, no go. This is probably the cheapest way to go. If you are just starting out, and dont have money for Pocket Wizards or SU-800's, I would look into this. Cheap enough that you wont feel too bad about upgrading later, and will still give you the functionality of the flash.

Last edited:
there are great lighting workshop DVDs out there...this one just happens to be my favorite.
Zack Arias' OneLight Workshop & DVD

This is a good DVD. I don't know if it is 250 dollars good, but it is a good, breezy DVD. The technical explanations are nice, not too clinical and in a laymans term sort of way. I also would recommend the Nikon DVD with Joe McNally and Bob Krist. They don't have the "humor" of Zack Arias (and its not because they aren't funny as the gag reel thats floating online shows) its just that they approach the material in a different way. I like Joe's shoots a lot more than Zacks, but again - these are two different styles so trying to compare Joe's 20 speedlite setup to ALL of Zacks single speedlite setup is a bit unfair. All in all, I would see if maybe you can find the OneLight DVD's used, or grab the Nikon one.

Wow!! There are still a lot of things I need to learn about. Just when I thought I had it figured out....LOL Thanks a bunch. The more I learn the more I get lost. I try and stay positive to chase after this dream. It's always been but sometimes I start to think this is a bit much....

I'd just suggest you start off with 1-2 lightstands with umbrellas, speedlights and cheap triggers. That and about a good month of study on the strobist site, and a good amount of your education will be off in the right direction.

Umbrellas are a lot cheaper than softboxes and when used right, do 90% of the same things.

Wow!! There are still a lot of things I need to learn about. Just when I thought I had it figured out....LOL Thanks a bunch. The more I learn the more I get lost. I try and stay positive to chase after this dream. It's always been but sometimes I start to think this is a bit much....

Honestly, if you are about to go spend over 100 dollars on lighting equipment, I would suggest you pick up the Nikon DVD first. Yes it is 40 bucks, but I garauntee you will come back to it, over and over again - if for nothing else than inspiration. Yes they are espousing the benefits of the Nikon system, but the equipment they are using can be used with ANY flash unit. Once you have an understanding of how light works in regards to portrait work, you can make a better informed decision on what to buy. Strobist.com is a good site to check out - but it is SERIOUSLY a mess as far as organization is concerned. If you have a weekend of nothing to do but navigate that website then I would recommend that. However for 40 bucks, you can NOT go wrong with that Nikon DVD.

I use an SB800 and 2x SB-25s triggered with cybersyncs. My softbox is a 28" westcott apollo collapsible softbox. Its a great softbox that opens and closes like an umbrella and can mount to an umbrella bracket on a lightstand without special mounting ring.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back