Using the cat to play with the beauty dish.

pjaye

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There's only so many selfie's a girl can do. So poor Summer got to be my "model". I have so much to learn about flash. *sigh*

She now hates me. Although she got cat nip for posing and bacon after.

Comments, help and c&c always welcome.
DSC_7827.jpg
DSC_7831.jpg
DSC_7822.jpg
DSC_7809.jpg

Her eyes look spring loaded (partially shut)!

Manual or TTL flash? Are you using the Nikon Creative Lighting System?

I usually have to use manual flash with SB-40 mode to get my cat with slightly less closed eyes ;)

I usually have to use manual flash with SB-40 mode to get my cat with slightly less closed eyes ;)

Ttl. With my camera as the trigger. I am clueless when it comes to flash so am trying to learn.

I have an off brand flash, so not using the nikon system. I really have to go get a book on flash.

Ttl. With my camera as the trigger. I am clueless when it comes to flash so am trying to learn.

I have an off brand flash, so not using the nikon system. I really have to go get a book on flash.

It's really not that bad. When using light modifiers a flash meter would be tremendously helpful. But you can get it in the ballpark with division. What model flash are you using? Do you know its guide number?

It's a Metz. It says 44 AF-1. How do I find out the guide number?

Metz 44 Af-1 has guide number 44m=144ft (full zoom)
33m=108ft at wide angle flash head.

Pick your aperture (for instance f8) and divide the guide number by the aperture 144/8=18ft. It should correctly illuminate your subject at 18ft at full power and ISO 100. Generally it's a good idea to put it a little closer. The beauty dish may knock a stop or two off of this so it's like shooting with f11 or f16. So 9 to 13 feet should be alright.

In practice you may want to take power off the flash at well 1/4 power is 2 stops, so you'd add 2 stops to your f-number before division.

Here's the strobist's take on the guide number.

Metz 44 Af-1 has guide number 44m=144ft (full zoom)
33m=108ft at wide angle flash head.

Pick your aperture (for instance f8) and divide the guide number by the aperture 144/8=18ft. It should correctly illuminate your subject at 18ft at full power and ISO 100. Generally it's a good idea to put it a little closer. The beauty dish may knock a stop or two off of this so it's like shooting with f11 or f16. So 9 to 13 feet should be alright.

In practice you may want to take power off the flash at well 1/4 power is 2 stops, so you'd add 2 stops to your f-number before division.

Here's the strobist's take on the guide number.

Thank you, so much. I really appreciate your help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back