Using the history brush to apply filter effects selectively

dkf10425

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
dkphotorestoration.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, here is a simple way to use the history brush in photoshop to apply filter effects such as unsharp mask to whatever area of the photo you wish while leaving the remainder intact.

1. Open your image and duplicate the layer.

2. Apply your filter effect. Take a snapshot.

3. Click the box to the left of the snapshot. You will then see a paint brush symbol. Next click the original image above the snapshot.

4. Choose your history brush, fix your brush settings and size, then paint over whatever parts of the image you wish the filter effect to be selectively applied to.

That's it! Rename your file and save as .jpeg and .tiff. The history brush is one of the most useful tools in your retouching arsenal. Hope this can help someone.

DK

how do you take a snapshot?

how do you take a snapshot?

At the bottom right side you will see a pallette called history. I have highlighted the snapshot button in red.

snapshot.jpg

Dunno man I started working my retouch with the history brush but now I prefer to make a copy of the original layer and use masking to show or keep hidden, and if you don't like it no problem just reset or selectively paint the mask

Dunno man I started working my retouch with the history brush but now I prefer to make a copy of the original layer and use masking to show or keep hidden, and if you don't like it no problem just reset or selectively paint the mask
Yes, you can accomplish the exact same thing using adjustment/duplicate layers and masking. As always with photoshop there multiple ways to achieve the same goal.

Most reactions

Back