UV and Polarizing Filters

z.peletz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I've got my first dslr on the way and am looking for recommendations on UV and Polarizing Filters. I know there are quite a few out there and at different prices and would like to know what people have found has worked well for them.

I'll be looking for a 72mm filter.

Thanks!

UV filters are mostly used for protection. I don't use them.

Polarizing filters are great. There are several brands. B+W is one of the better brands. Hoya has some good products as well.

What are the differences between a UV and a UV-Haze Filter? I can't seem to find much information on the differences, if any.

same thing different language. Get a multicoated UV filter like the Hoya HMC or if you have a really nice sharp lens a Hoya S-HMC. Believe me it makes a difference. Search this forum for "Filter test" thread by me or sabath999 to find a comparison.

Also disregard all this "digital filter, Pro1 Digital" crap, they claim thinner glass makes the filter x times better for digital photography. I claim it makes their shareholders happy and nothing more.

I know that ultimately I'm going to get more lenses for my DSLR and am wondering if most people "future proof" their filters by getting larger ones and step-up/down rings so that they can use the same filters on multiple lenses.

Are there any drawbacks to doing this?

Most reactions

Back