UV filter needed?

photosoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
3649298802_a512437879.jpg

3648472621_2292aed63e.jpg

I'm into scenic and outdoor photography. I would benefit from a UV/haze filter wouldn't I (especially on the second pic)? Any advice on initial filters to have would be appreciated. thanks

Wouldn't a CPL cut down on atmospheric reflections better than a UV?

Yes I would think a Skylight 1-A or 1-B UV filter would help.

A polarizer is limited depending on the angle of the sun. A polarizer would handle some of the haze but it could also do some goofy things to the blue of the sky, like deepen only 1/2th of it or less if the Sun is more than 30 degrees above the horizon and 90 degrees to the lens axis.

Polarizers are good at helping to control local specular highlights like reflections off of water or car windows pretty much any time of day.

Duly noted KmH. I haven't worked with polarizers much (don't have any myself, yet).

Try one in A:B photos and see for yourself.

I'm not sure why you wish to reduce the atmospheric perspective so dear to landscape painters, though. It seems counterproductive.

Try one in A:B photos and see for yourself.

I'm not sure why you wish to reduce the atmospheric perspective so dear to landscape painters, though. It seems counterproductive.

I don't want to take away from anything so much as make the color from the distant mountain, etc. pop out a little more and i was thinking maybe a UV might help that... not sure really. I'm still new. the two photos I posted are not the best examples of the haziness and color loss I've gotten into the distant mountains, but nonetheless you guys no what I mean. thanks for the replies.

ya i wud use a uv for outdoor/landscape shots...better exposure that way

thanks for the replies. I called Adorama and they recommended Hoya brand. Is this a good brand? 49.35 for my 200mm VR and 19.35 for my 18-55 lens I believe. or are there a better quality filter for the same price range?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back