UV Filter on Pro Glass... Well, Do You?

I use a UV/Clear filter on my Pro Glass...

• Always

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Never

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • More times than not

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Under certain conditions, but usually not

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Been waiting on a consensus, Cheers

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Huh?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This poll is leaning towards responses from experienced photographers in an effort to educate us less learned. However, all responses are valuable.

I ask because with my first lens purchases, I put a UV filter on all of them. It was a habit carried over from film days of long ago. However, once I started buying quality glass for my dSLR and after reading some of the disadvantages of IQ, reflections, flare etc. I have not used them with the Gold Rings. I want to get the best possible image from what the manufacturer designed, especially when I drop 4 digits on the cost of the lens.

99.5% of the time I have the hard plastic/metal lens hood attached/extended and if I move from my shooting spot, the lens cap goes on. So for protection in a normal environment, it is a non-issue to me. The only reason I can think of to use one is in harsh conditions such as dusty, sandy, wet or in a thicket to protect the front element. Okay, add hazy to the list, but I think PS is a more likely solution if needed.

So, the question is:

Once you started buying Pro glass *read Gold Ring and “L” as examples * do you or do you not slap a UV / Clear filter as a protective measure? If so, please say why.

Last edited:
I used to all the time, but the hood provides enough protection, and I got tired of the flare. I only put one on under the worst conditions.

Same with Switch. I used to all the time but realized there is a bit of softness that came with all my filters. Hoods do help a bunch.

Now, I keep one 77mm and one 58mm UV filter in my bag only for risky conditions.

I always do, but I'll admit that it's a habit I acquired early in my 35mm days -- a filter is alot less costly to replace than a lens. I'm not sure that's a good reason. I don't put filters in front of my expensive progressive eyeglass lenses. I will say that I often have a CP mounted and then I wouldn't use a UV filter anyway.

Last edited:
I used them all of the time. I removed them for a bit to check IQ degradation and personally did not see any negligable difference. Maybe a little softness, but unsharp mask will fix that. I mostly photograph wildlife so atmospheric condition is an issue for protection more than anything. Dust, pollen, bugs, etc. wreak havoc on my 400mm. Dunno if they make a protective filter for that monster. :mrgreen: Do not have any issues with flare or whatnot because i do try to keep the light behind me. Guess it has become habit since I feel safer cleaning my filter than the front element.

They have saved at least one of my lenses, and this happend in a situation where I thought there would be no risk. I would rather break a $100 filter than a $2000 lens anyday.

I'm the other side of that. Why buy a $2000 lens and then put a cheap piece of glass in front of it?

Hood only.

Last year, I bought a new 70-200 2.8 VR. Dropped $1700 on the puppy with shipping and taxes.

First thing I did was put a UV filter on it.

Went to a zoo to shoot some shots, slapped the lens hood on and started walking around. When I got to the zebras, one bit another one on the ass, and the one that got bit jumped and stomped, right in a big puddle of mud.

Pfwap! Mud came flying and I got splattered.

Sure enough, one big semi-solid glob of mud slammed into my lens right exactly dead center (lens hood and all).

I tell you what... I would have absolutely puked on the spot had that gritty, grimy, zebra peed in mud been slobbered all over the front of my brand new lens instead of some $100 filter.

I come from a sports news background, where I have had my camera covered in all kinds of stuff including spit, blood, rain and an ocean of sweat from some athlete running into me.

I always, always, always shoot with a filter. Always.

I use the best one I can find (B&W).

If you are a pro and require shots to be the absolute sharpest, I can understand not wanting to use filter - I've never seen degrade in quality with filter myself, but I'm printing 4x6 and 5x7s only.

I order my B&W 010 MRC UV filter at same time that I order lens. $80 is not that much when the lens cost $1000+.

Ooops, I forgot to vote.

I gave my reasons why not earlier, but I do keep a UV filter handy. I was a Boy Scout once. :lol:

Wish I had a video of that zebra scene ...

I used to, however I've now switched over to B+W clear glass. No detectable impact on the image, and the same protection.

I used to all the time, but the hood provides enough protection, and I got tired of the flare. I only put one on under the worst conditions.
Exactly the same here! I hated the flare. I have lens hoods for all my lenses now to help protect them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back