I just spent a couple of weeks playing around with a lens hood instead of a UV filter -- basically so that I could speak with somewhat more authority about their relative merits. I found the hood to be extremely annoying, got in the way, and eventually got lost (I'm hard on my equipment, it was sacrificed to the gods of a 150 year old mine).
On the other hand, UV filters stay put. Yes, a shattered filter can scratch your objective element, but anything that shatters a filter would CERTAINLY scratch your objective element. Flare can be a problem with cheaper ones, but with decent multicoating, I haven't noticed any problems.
As always, experiment and try for yourself. You know your style better than us, and you also know more about how much you care about safety vs. flare vs. all the other problems people have mentioned. My personal, informed, choice is to use UV filters.