What's new

UWA lens or Standard Zoom lens

bigboi3

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
599
Reaction score
6
Location
Pittsburg, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First off, I don't know if this is posted in the correct section but here I go.

So, my brother's friend is selling a Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 Nikon mount lens for $250. A freaking steal if you ask me and I'm thinking about grabbing it. I really liked using that lens when I had borrowed it at one point but that variable aperture is whats making me decide against buying it. I wouldn't mind owning the Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 constant aperture model but that's $600 plus that I can't spend at the moment. Can't seem to find any for sale used.
cussing.gif


I can always go with a standard zoom lens like the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 or even Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 as a nice walk around with the constant 2.8 aperture. As these are a lot cheaper than the Nikon version 17-55 f/2.8 (which I also had before and loved it, but unfortunately sold it). Also would be a more practical all around walk around lens than an UWA.

Would a Sigma 10-20 even be practical to be used as a walk around lens or should I just invest on either the Sigma and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8's?
 
First off, I don't know if this is posted in the correct section but here I go.
Nope. Lenses are optical tools...not digital. I've moved it for you.

The maximum aperture doesn't matter as much on a wide angle lens as it does on longer lenses. The main reason being that you don't need as fast of a shutter speed (to avoid camera shake blur) with shorter focal lengths. Also, the DOF is already pretty deep with short/wide angle lenses, and you usually don't want a shallow DOF with wide angle shots anyway.

A faster wide angle lens would be nice when doing photo-journalism type stuff, where you will likely be capturing moving subjects.

As fast as an ultra side as a walk around...I think it would be fun. But I think it gets old...especially when you review a few hundred images all take at wide angles.
 
Thanks for moving the thread for me Big Mike.

So I'd probably be better off purchasing a standard wide angle zoom as a practical walk around lens then. 17mm on the wide end is a decent wide angle on an APS-C sized sensor anyway with a lot less distortion than the 10-20mm. Choices, choices, choices. Thanks for your input Big Mike.
 
On it being variable aperture; for a UW you're likely to be doing landscapes so stopped down to around f/8 anyway... how much of the time would it be an issue.
You enjoyed using it before so I say get it; and save towards a fast normal zoom etc cause if its that much of a steal how often is that deal going to come round?
 
Well, I decided to pick up the Sigma 10-20. I decided on picking it up because I just wanted a fun UWA to use.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom