I would have prefered to see it in color to.
It just seems "messy" in b/w to me.
I believe you're not seeing the image for what it is, but rather what you want it to be. It's awkward for me to explain in words, in fact, that's why I prefer to express myself through photography.
This particular image was produced to provoke confusion, unrest and an anxiety/unwillingness to sort out and go beyond that which is inevitable. In this case, the underbrush and dead trees in order to investigate the intrigue of the forest beyond. To feel as if one must see what is in the forest, but the details of ~everything~ hamper a successful resolution.
The color being complex and varied, did nothing but confound the composition, which already, as you said, seems "messy". It was a very messy location. I didn't want to have to walk through that crap- yet I had to to get what I wanted, and it took me quite awhile to sort out the details along the way.
So, two for -I'd rather see something else-
Sounds like anxiety to me. All things considered, I believe I've expressed myself adequately with the photo.
Interesting side note: This place is actually called the Valley of Enchantment. That cracks me up.