Vanguard tripod - leg jammed after dropping in water

Malavok

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB tripod and one of its legs is completely jammed.

I was walking along a waterfall and dropped it into the water; after I got it back it was jammed. I'm not sure if it was the impact (only dropped from a few feet, not far) or the water (was completely submerged in ~35 degree water); this is a rocky waterfall and there are a lot of pieces of limestone rock- maybe could have somehow gotten shoved up into the tripod leg when it fell? The legs were extended when it was dropped.

I can pull the leg out about 25% of the way until it jams and I can't pull it out any further.

Whatever is jamming it is inside the leg -- I removed the clamp completely.

Any ideas? Maybe something got shoved up into the leg like a piece of rock? How would I ever get that out?

I'd rather try to investigate it on my own than have to ship it back to Vanguard for repairs.

maybe a leg was dented in (thus denting the internal legs too) which prevents full movement.

Check for any dents, even long shallow ones.
or some small stone(s) go inside the leg and is now jamming the leg.

maybe a leg was dented in (thus denting the internal legs too) which prevents full movement.

Check for any dents, even long shallow ones.
or some small stone(s) go inside the leg and is now jamming the leg.
My guess would be a dent as well, or perhaps a bend. Put a straight-edge along the leg to see if it's stil straight.

Most reactions

Back