Various types of computer protection...

Corry,
I am running a test scan and noticed the tag line at the bottom:

2002-2006 by ewido networks GmbH & Co. KG | a member of GRISOFT Group

Grisoft is the company that makes AVG AntiVirus...... FWIW

Troy

tbh i dont use anything apart from Bullguard and Zone Alarm and in all the time ive used them i havent had a single infection..

wolfepak said:
Corry,
I am running a test scan and noticed the tag line at the bottom:

2002-2006 by ewido networks GmbH & Co. KG | a member of GRISOFT Group

Grisoft is the company that makes AVG AntiVirus...... FWIW

Troy

I thought so...so they should be good then, eh?

Dunno, I have been underwhelmed with Ad-aware lately........

Hmm...oh...ok.

So...Troy...in your expert opinion, do you think I should be fairly protected with what I have? :scratch: I just remembered on my home computer I also have Microsoft Anti-spyware....or is it anti-virus...I dunno, one of those! :lol:

Ewido is a pretty good product. The only thing I may suggest is an actiev software firewall like Zone Alarm... but some people will debate the value of it.

I have a router, zone alarm, AVG a/v and MS Anti-Spyware and I have not been infected in ages.

so far ewido did good, and as it is from the same company it should integrate very well with AVG.
The only FW i use is the one with MSWindows.;... as a tech support agent, more problems came from firewalls than from any other non-invasive 3rd party program.....

I use a router w/physical firewall, ad-aware se, microsoft firewall (which doesnt do much so it's usually disabled), and spybot S&D. I never use more than one software firewall at a time (I uninstall or disable one before using the other) because they get tied up and cause problems. I havent had any kind of bad 'warez' on my PC for a looong time.

I use the microsoft firewall (most of the time) and MS anti-spyware. I find microsoft does a pretty good job at catching things. I will run adaware and spybot about once a moth, and trend micro about every other. Usually these dont catch much, but I'd rather be safe

Being a systems technician and engineer I have experience with all of it. AVG is the worst, most useless piece of crap out there. McAfee is next in line. Norton is decent but is a massive system resource hog. E-trust is pretty good, and doesn't use any system resources. I have found Kaspersky to be the absolute best, as far as anti-virus protection goes. Ewido is by far the best anti-spyware, and it's always good to run Spybot every once in awhile as well. So I would say with a mixture of Kaspersky and Ewido you'd be totally good to go.

core_17 said:
...ok, so I use AVG

Ditch it and get something better...like Trend Micro Internet Security or eTrust Internet Security, and for god's sake STAY AWAY FROM NORTON!!!

A good firewall + Anti-virus + Anti-spyware/spam = Fort Knoxx. :)

Whoops, I know I said AVG.. thatw as long ago. I ditched it when it let a virus slip through and switched to Avast. I have had excellent luck with it.

I spent years doing onsite system repair for both business and home machines and I can tell you without a single doubt that Norton is a colossal pile of garbage. I have seen COUNTLESS systems with live viruses on them and Norton juts chugging along like everything is just fine. I would hit them wit Avast's boot-time scanner and find all kinds of trojans and things.

I honestly consider Norton "worse than nothing at all" because you THINK you are protected and will not be as safe as you may be with no AV at all... and you pay yearly for updates!

Avast is free, Trend Micro will charge, but both are excellent products.

Dweller said:
Whoops, I know I said AVG.. thatw as long ago. I ditched it when it let a virus slip through and switched to Avast. I have had excellent luck with it.

I spent years doing onsite system repair for both business and home machines and I can tell you without a single doubt that Norton is a colossal pile of garbage. I have seen COUNTLESS systems with live viruses on them and Norton juts chugging along like everything is just fine. I would hit them wit Avast's boot-time scanner and find all kinds of trojans and things.

I honestly consider Norton "worse than nothing at all" because you THINK you are protected and will not be as safe as you may be with no AV at all... and you pay yearly for updates!

Avast is free, Trend Micro will charge, but both are excellent products.

I just took Avast off of my step-dads laptop...it was going insanely buggy on me, and replaced it with my above combination.

This is the very first I've EVER heard bad about AVG. Everyone I've EVER talked to has raved about it. :scratch:

AVG was great for a long time until it let me down once.. and with AV once is all you get hehe

The one issue I have had with Avast is slowing down IRC. I never did find out why it was doing that but it was causing a huge lag with every keypress.

Most reactions

Back