Venice after hours

thedingo0099

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The first images of Venice I ever saw were those of Eugene Atget. That was well over 50 years ago.
I have returned to Venice many times and never tire of it. I return each year in October when the tourists have thinned out and the sun sets early. That's when I can connect with Atget once more.

_DSF6442.jpg

Even the local 'bus' terminal takes on a picture quality that reminds me of what Venice has always been; a magnet for the tourist like myself who can only dream of capturing the essence of such a place.

PBB Lomography Effect.jpg

How did you blur the image in the second post? I mean to say have you used some mode?

Very interesting images. I think you have captured some of his approach very well, although I am not sure about the people images, but maybe that is a way of putting your "signature" on your images, rather than simply emulating his. I prefer the black and white with the first one being my favourite of the two.

WesternGuy

How did you blur the image in the second post? I mean to say have you used some mode?

As I would in any image; use a slower shutter speed such that the figures are blurred.
Atget wasn't big on shooting at night where people were involved, possibly because of the longer exposures required.
I'm more excited inclined to go with the flow, so to speak.

Very interesting images. I think you have captured some of his approach very well, although I am not sure about the people images, but maybe that is a way of putting your "signature" on your images, rather than simply emulating his. I prefer the black and white with the first one being my favourite of the two.

WesternGuy
I wasn't aiming at Atgets approach. That would be presumptuous of me. His approach was defined as much by the times as it was his own view of Venice. I know many photographers who live in or visit Venice and each have their own 'signature' as you call it. Mine is personal. Capturing the way it is now is important. Venice is becoming less of a home for Italians and more of a 'Disneyland'. More than half of the population at any one time are visitors. The new infrastructure is built for the crowds. It's difficult to find a time when the streets are quiet and occupied by locals.
Im conscious of my intrusion into the community. I often find myself carrying shopping bags or lifting cartons for people, chatting to them and spending time at the bars and in the parks. The locals respect those who don't presume that Venice is for the tourist. It's still home for many.

_DSF9641.jpg

The absence of dogs on the street is noticeable. The householders will often take their dog to work with them.

As I would in any image; use a slower shutter speed such that the figures are blurred.
Atget wasn't big on shooting at night where people were involved, possibly because of the longer exposures required.
I'm more excited inclined to go with the flow, so to speak.
Ohh. Then probably you are going good!

Most reactions

Back