Venturing Into The Realm Of Pocket Wizards

Stolarczyk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stolarzstudios.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am starting to get into flash photography using my speedlights, and I've run into some problems using the on camera flash as a trigger. My wife has eyelids with an incredible reaction time, and even when I try to time it right, she still ends up with her eyes mostly if not completely closed. I also noticed that on the rare occasion her eyes are open, and I zoom in on her eye, I can still see a catchlight coming from my on camera flash, even if I have it only set to commander mode. This among other reasons has caused me to start looking into a pocket wizard. That being said I'm really not sure what I need, or what would be the best option for a guy on a budget. I was looking at the PocketWizard Plus III Transceiver, but I was wonder if I have to have a separate pocket wizard on each flash, or will the radio wave just trigger the speedlight without it (I'm using SB 700s). To my understanding it will still trigger it, but will anybody elses flash (Say you're shooting a wedding) trigger your speedlights just be seeing a flash?

Need two, one for camera one for flash.

Not sure if it will work with your flash because I don't see any ports to connect the wizard to.

At this point, the only speedlight I'm aware of that has a built-in radio receiver is the Canon 600RT.

For your SB-700s, you'll need a receiver for each flash. Since you're on a budget, you should probably consider going with another brand like Phottix. They perform all the functions you'll need, reliably, and at a fraction of the cost of the PWs. I've used them for several weddings now and they're a great value. Here's the link.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You need two Pocket Wizards, one to send the signal and the other to receive the signal. The PW unit typically connects to your flash using a stereo miniphone 1/8" (3.5mm) to PC sync cable. If your flash doesn't have a PC sync port then I don't think you can use the PW, but possibly connect the unit through a hotshoe adapter that is attached to your flash. The transceiver unit goes onto your camera's hotshoe without the need of a cable.

At this point, the only speedlight I'm aware of that has a built-in radio receiver is the Canon 600RT.

For your SB-700s, you'll need a receiver for each flash. Since you're on a budget, you should probably consider going with another brand like Phottix. They perform all the functions you'll need, reliably, and at a fraction of the cost of the PWs. I've used them for several weddings now and they're a great value. Here's the link.

I'll second this about the Phottix. I have the Atlas II and love them.

even if I have it only set to commander mode.

Another way to fire the flash is to put it into SU-4 mode. Your BI flash will fire the remote, but you will have to take your camera flash out of commander mode to eliminate those extra flashes. Everything in manual. You might also need to redirect the BI flash so it will not affect the picture, but just fire the remote.

The thing about pocket wizards, is that they are reliable and have a huge range (1600 feet). But they can be expensive. The new Plus III units aren't all that expensive and would work well. Yes, you would need two (camera and flash) and possibly additional PWs for additional flashes.

There are many other options, some as cheap as $30 for a set. But the common problem is that it's hard to tell what is going to be reliable for you.

I use Cyber Sync for my remote flashes. CTS and CSRB would be what you need.

If your flash does not have a port for a flash sync cable, then you would just need something like this...FlashZebra.com: Female Hotshoe with Miniphone Jack (female) (Item #0128)

OP, for what it's worth, the lack of a PC sync port on the SB-700 was the primary reason I sold mine and moved to the SB-900/910. When you're dealing with multiple OCF units, it becomes a real pain dealing with yet another piece of auxiliary equipment with the hotshoe adapters.

In another shameless plug for Phottix triggers, the receivers have a built-in hotshoe so you don't have to fiddle with PC sync cables at all. It makes things really nice when you're shooting a wedding reception with multiple speedlights set up on light stands.

It occurs to me that (and BIG CAUTION here as I want to emphasis I do not own one of these nor have I tested this) a PC-sync to hot-shoe adapter... such as one of these (and there are lots of these so don't take this as an endorsement that you should go buy this very brand/model): Amazon.com: Seagull SC-2 Flash Hot Shoe Adapter with PC Sync Socket: Camera & Photo

While I don't think the SB-700 has a PC-sync terminal built in, in a "generic" sense, the main center pin and ground plate on a flash hot shoe is a standard. Put a flash in manual mode, take a paper clip and short the connection from center pin to the ground plate on your flash and it will fire. It's pretty simple.

I suspect you could connect a PocketWizard to the flash by connecting the PC-sync cable to the hot-shoe adapter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back