very challenging flower - black petunia

I wonder if a colored gel on the speedlight would work? Which color? Haven't a clue. I bet @Derrel may have the answer to this.
What would the coloured gel be intended to do?

I don't know, I have used them indoors when there are multiple colored light bulbs. Usually orange for that. I was throwing it against the wall wondering if it would stick. lol

Well there may be some things in nature that technology can not match but that does not distract from the fact that it is a great photo.

I like it.

Latest attempts

black petunias-1.jpg

black petunias-1-3.jpg

Wow, what a strange looking plant. Some varied takes, that last one looks like it's been dipped in pitch. Good stuff.

I think it looks pretty good, have you tried black light, lighting combined with other soft lighting? I know it would look weird but who knows, it may capture that velvety look.

You've likely already tried this, but what keeps coming to mind as an option is "open shade" Getting someone out there to hold a flag over the top, just until you have enough lighting spilling on the flower to draw out the texture, but enough shade to keep the depth of color. Maybe even holding it over the background too, to darken up the bright green that seems to be drawing attention away from the petals? Just a thought!

Also, keeping the camera in live view while you play with Flag** position would help me understand whats going on as I moved the FLAG** around.

Sure wish I had an awesome black flower to practice on. I've never seen anything like it before.

(Edited because I realize these terms are not interchangeable. But I posted before coffee, so be gentle.)

Last edited:
I think it’s shot well but you could bring out the velvet texture with more editing.

edit.black petunia-1.jpg

very small file, and quick attempt at bringing out "velvet" texture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think it’s shot well but you could bring out the velvet texture with more editing.

View attachment 197048

very small file, and quick attempt at bringing out "velvet" texture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice. Thank you

Indoors with black bg and snooted speeedlight

black petunias-1-4.jpg

I have been watching this thread since I came back from a break. The first of your latest attempts conveys a texture none of the others do. Sorry, no advice. This looks like a very challenging subject. Well done so far. Keep experimenting.

[EDIT] I think you posted your latest while I was typing. Regardless, I was referring to your second post. I haven't had time to really look at the latest.

OK, I think maybe my browser just needed to be refreshed.

"Indoors with black bg and snooted speeedlight" is my favorite. Again, keep experimenting :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back