Hi pbe. It seems like you like shooting landscape type things. If that is right, I'm not sure why you bought a telephoto zoom. Put that lens away for a while and shoot with the kit lens a little while longer. Can you return the telephoto zoom?
Looking at your photos, I think you need to read & learn about composition. Buy a good photography book or two with descriptions and examples of good & bad compositions. One book that I read is by an English photographer, John Hedgecoe. He wrote toward the end of film era. Here's the latest version of the main book I cut my teeth on:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/John-Hedgecoes-35mm-Photography-Hedgecoe/dp/1855857146/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270244330&sr=1-5]Amazon.com: John Hedgecoe's 35mm Photography (9781855857148): John Hedgecoe: Books[/ame]
I see that he has written a lot of other books on photography that are not "35mm". They might be worth looking into. But whatever one you get, make sure it has sections on composition.
Another one I learned a lot from was the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Ultimate-Field-Photography/dp/1426204310/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270244487&sr=1-1]National Geographic Photographer's Field Guide.[/ame] I've had a few different versions of this one. The first one was a spiral bound one that would fit in a larger camera bag. Later ones went with regular book bindings, and now I think they're too big to take along.
All that said, I will also say that landscape photography is among the hardest types to get right. Composition is a massive part of it. So is light. Hardly any good landscape shots are taken in the middle of the day. They are usually around dawn or sunset. The sunlight is at a lower angle and everything is more dramatic and is colored more warmly due to the lower color temperature of the sunlight from going through more of the atmosphere. There also has to be more than just one element. It is hard to take an outstanding photo of a river, without something to spruce up the composition. A fish, a tree in the foreground, etc.
I've shot thousands of photos over the past 20 years I've been shooting "seriously." I have probably about 10-15 landscape shots that I would call keepers. I do a lot better with architecture, people and action. Would you care to try that new lens against wildlife? Sports? Maybe take your kit lens into The Big Apple and try some architecture photography?
If you really want to do landscapes though, learn a bit about composition by getting a good book. Then, get another book with works by Ansel Adams, whom many consider to be THE master landscape photographer. Be willing to get up before dawn, so you can be OUT THERE and ready at dawn. To me, he made the most stunningly beautiful landscape shots of all time, and he worked with a large format camera, which he had to lug around with a tripod and only a few plates. He did this because he knew he wanted to make big prints, and this is the right tool for the job.
Another thing that has helped me was to extend my shooting hours & opportunities by carrying a point & shoot camera. A lot of times, it will be a "Oh, this is a good moment!" shot. Sometimes, candids present themselves. Other times, you're out doing something else; something for which you wouldn't normally have your SLR with you. Keep your photographic eye open more.
I've also found that money invested in traveling to new, photogenic places, is usually better spent than on new equipment.
Hopefully that helps a bit. It should at least give you some ideas of where to go without having to spend a load more money.