Very spontaneous portrait shoot

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Actually, this was so spontaneous that it ought to go under "snapshot", since all my planning was to see that my daughter's outfit went well with the sofa cover colour and she generally looked nice. Second "planning" was to shift the reading light over to her one side, and then I "snapped" away.

I still want to put the photos up here because now, after I have taken them, these portraits make me wonder:

Is it a good thing that her face is now lighted by two very different lights? The bluish natural light from the window to her right (left when you see the photo) and the yellow tungsten light?

And which version is now stronger? The original, all unchanged and just as it came out of the camera, or the slightly desaturated one with the colour temp "cooled down" a bit?

I shall now put up three different photos, each in its two versions for you to discuss, the original always being the first:

SabineHeute1_orig.jpg

SabineHeute1_desat.jpg

SabineHeute2_orig.jpg

SabineHeute2_desat.jpg

SabineHeute3_orig.jpg

SabineHeute3_desat.jpg

Keep in mind that I am neither a portrait (or other) photographer - just an amateur, nor do I have any equipment. None whatsoever for the purpose.
(And my daughter is my favourite, though usually must unwilling "model" ;))

very nice, I like the last one.
I think we may be annoying our family members more then we know it... :lmao:

This shouldn't be called 'The Photo Forum' it should be called 'The Annoying Family Member Forum' ;)

Oh well, where would the world be without people like us!?! ;)

Oh, thanks for the reply, Chris.

Now how about my questions concerning the light and the desaturation vs. the original?

Pete, you are a pro, would you care to comment on my highly amateurish experiments?

you should encourage her to smile a lot :) the pics where she is smilling are waaaaay better :D

I like the desaturated versions better, on all of them. The originals are a little too red for me.

I think if you adjust the levels a little bit in PS, (if you have it) you could take out a little of the yellow tinge on the left side of her face and bring out some of the more complimenting shadows. And the smile is beautiful, imagine if it was a big smile :sexywink:

Thanks, you two.
Yes, the originals were too red for my liking, too, even though I usually like strong colours. But her skin tone looked really off.
Sorry. No PS here. All I can do is change the luminosity, contrasts, sharpness, colour temperature and saturation in photos, that is about it with what I have got.

As it seems, one of the biggest challenges in the future will be to make my "model" smile, eh? ;)

Right now? 7:30 in the morning... what has the time got to do with that photo?

Maybe this solves the whole blue-light-through-window-yellow-light-from-lamp-problem???

4-Aug-05_SpontiPortrait_BW.jpg

I pushed my colour filter levels to all directions and found out that this way her eyes stay brightest and come out most.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back