(very) Wide for Canon EOS 5D

mattover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all;

My trusty old Sigma super-wide was waterlogged and rather thoroughly destroyed on a shoot a couple of weekends back (Korean monsoon season is a sight to behold). I can't really complain as I've had it for years and it was starting to get a little tired anyway. I am currently shopping around for a new one and I was hoping to get a few suggestions. I shoot a lot of mountain biking and it's all pretty close as there's not much room in the forests. I'm after something that's pretty wide (10-12mm at the widest would be nice). I almost always shoot with flash in the forests anyway, so I don't need anything massively quick (down to around F4.5 would be fine).

As mentioned in the subject line, I am shooting with an original EOS 5D, so I'd be extremely grateful to hear what lenses others in a similar situation are using and how they find them.

Cheers,
Matt

All the 10-12mm lenses that I know of, are for crop sensor cameras and would vignette on your 5D. The widest full frame Canon lens (I think) is the EF 14mm but it's a fish-eye.

I think with great quality the widest you'll find is the 16-35 f2.8, though the 17-40 is a lot cheaper if you don't mind that it is a slower (f4) lens.

All the 10-12mm lenses that I know of, are for crop sensor cameras and would vignette on your 5D. The widest full frame Canon lens (I think) is the EF 14mm but it's a fish-eye.

Big Mike, I believe the EF 14mm is not a fish eye but the EF 15mm is. :)

Tamron has a 14mm prime
SP AF14mm F/2.8 Aspherical

Sigma also has one
SIGMA 14mm f/2.8 Aspherical EX

And of course the Canon
Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM

There's a 16-35mm L Mk II... which means the Mark I version can be gotten cheaper. I have one, get that.

Thanks everyone - that's given me a decent shopping list to wander off and check out. I must admit that I had pretty good experiences with the Sigma I had previously, so at this stage that's probably leading the field. It shapes up pretty well in terms of price/performance as well.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how I go.

matt o

The 10-22mm type lenses are only for crop sensor... they are equivalent to 16-35mm, based on the Canon focal length multiplication factor.

*cough* *points to the Sigma lens in his sig* It gets down to 12mm. It's not quick as a hare, but you said that f/4.5 would be fine. I mean, CA can be an issue, but still. Barrel distortion is so low is baffling.

Last edited:
*cough* *points to the Sigma lens in his sig* It gets down to 12mm. It's not quick as a hare, but you said that f/4.5 would be fine. I mean, CA can be an issue, but still. Barrel distortion is so low is baffling.
Same one I was going to recommend.

Sigma 12-24 is indeed a full frame lens, and as far as I know, the widest non-fisheye available for full frame Canon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back