Vibrant Poplars

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
You guessed it, a new addition to the Fine Art in Motion set :)

Yesterday we headed to town and when Alice was done hurling (she doesn't travel well yet :( ) I got to do some shooting. The fall colours are just starting, I was getting sick of greens, but this one stands out! I think it wants to be on metal ;)

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks for taking a look!

IMG_9818-1 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

Another solid shot. I agree on the metal- especially since you say its brushed aluminum

What exactly is your methodology for these types of captures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judi, while I like the shot, I think it is weaker than some of your other ones for the following reasons: The center tree is blurred, wheras the two lesser trees on the sides of it are sharp. The center blurred tree does not have enough interesting detail to make it the center of the image, and the sharp trees are at the edges. What I have found to be very attractive in some of your other images is the delicious play between the blurred portions mixed in with some very sharp-appearing parts (autumn flame comes to mind) which allows the eye to explore and bounce back and forth between the blurred and the sharp elements. This one has the sharpness along the edges, but not enough distinctive sharp elements along the center. I'm wondering what it would have looked like if you panned on the center tree?

I like it. I love trees and outdoor pictures

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

135435d86e034ee99cd9ba2d85d64259.jpg

The tree photo is supposed to move. It is a Google plus auto awesome photo but it doesn't move when I uploaded it here. Sorry about that if you look me up on Google + you can see the moving uploads. The sunset was taken yesterday evening. I don't have any fancy camera equipment or were taken with my Samsung galaxy S3 android cell phone.

Judi, while I like the shot, I think it is weaker than some of your other ones for the following reasons: The center tree is blurred, wheras the two lesser trees on the sides of it are sharp. The center blurred tree does not have enough interesting detail to make it the center of the image, and the sharp trees are at the edges. What I have found to be very attractive in some of your other images is the delicious play between the blurred portions mixed in with some very sharp-appearing parts (autumn flame comes to mind) which allows the eye to explore and bounce back and forth between the blurred and the sharp elements. This one has the sharpness along the edges, but not enough distinctive sharp elements along the center. I'm wondering what it would have looked like if you panned on the center tree?

Thanks for your thoughts all!

Paul, thanks for your thoughts, I see where you are going, I had similar thoughts when I was processing it. I agree that what makes these images in general is the balance of sharp and blur and this one turns it on it's head a bit by having the center tree dragged. I do still like it despite the center tree or perhaps because of it? the last thing I want is to keep on making the same image over and over again and I think one way is to mess with the balance a bit. Good suggestion of focusing on the center tree, I think it would certainly create a very strong image, unfortunately I believe this time it wasn't in line with the trees in focus (I think it`s actually in the foreground) and I missed since I was not using the center focus point (giving away secrets!!) As the foliage drops this autumn I will have more shots at the poplars, I will carry your thoughts forward with me!!

Dustyvicki, thanks for sharing!

What exactly is your methodology for these types of captures?

Panned from the car as Mr Rabbit drives ;)

Panned from the car as Mr Rabbit drives ;)
How much panning are we talking? Like 1 second? Or 1/3? Just curious!

I think the subtle highlights that rim the trees need to be emphasized by a very direct Curves adjustment on the highlights. The highlights are very few, but they are indeed there, most notably on the third tree from the left, and on the far right tree, but the highlighting is lost in among all that mid-tone, open shade rendering. This shot needs a very precise, kind of tricky, processing approach to make it come to life more. It's just overall, too low in contrast, and I am not sure that the right white balance has been set.

Most reactions

Back