Video with the Nikon 810

Garyk1108

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I primarily photograph and shoot video of horses. I recently received as a gift a new 810 and I am VERY pleased with it. Great camera! One problem I'm having is when I'm shooting video the image isn't always in focus, especially when the subject is running toward me at speed. I have tried setting the camera in aperture mode and also in program mode and neither seemed to solve the problem. Since video can only be shot in "live view" it's very difficult to tell if the subject is in focus or not. Is there a better camera setting that I should try? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Oh, by the way, the lens is a Nikon 70 - 200mm with 2.8f.

Did you change the focus mode to AF-F in live view movie mode? This will give you continuous auto focus during video. It works, but its not that great. So I'd suggest try manually focusing during video...it may take some practice to get really good at it. You can also a get a simple follow focus ring that wraps around your focus ring to give you a more precise control over the focus.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Did you change the focus mode to AF-F in live view movie mode? This will give you continuous auto focus during video. It works, but its not that great. So I'd suggest try manually focusing during video...it may take some practice to get really good at it. You can also a get a simple follow focus ring that wraps around your focus ring to give you a more precise control over the focus.

Thank you Nerwin. Thanks for the tip regarding the AF_F focus mode. As to the manual focus part, maybe it's just my eyesight but I find it difficult to tell if it's truly in focus when all I have to look at is the tiny screen on the back of the camera. The 810, in live mode, does not display through the viewfinder. With a moving subject (and I mean really moving!) keeping it in frame, operating the zoom and the focus ring all at the same time is a challenge to even a person with great reflexes and motor skills! Ha. Thanks, also, for the tip about the follow focus ring. Good stuff! Much appreciated.

Thank you Nerwin. Thanks for the tip regarding the AF_F focus mode. As to the manual focus part, maybe it's just my eyesight but I find it difficult to tell if it's truly in focus when all I have to look at is the tiny screen on the back of the camera. The 810, in live mode, does not display through the viewfinder. With a moving subject (and I mean really moving!) keeping it in frame, operating the zoom and the focus ring all at the same time is a challenge to even a person with great reflexes and motor skills! Ha. Thanks, also, for the tip about the follow focus ring. Good stuff! Much appreciated.

You can get one of these for your LCD screen. This might make it more easier since it has 2.2x magnification.

Kinotehnik LCDVF4ND LCD Viewfinder for Nikon D800 and LCDVF4ND

You can get one of these for your LCD screen. This might make it more easier since it has 2.2x magnification.

Kinotehnik LCDVF4ND LCD Viewfinder for Nikon D800 and LCDVF4ND
Ahhhh! That should help immensely! Thank you so much!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back